Shopping tires.....

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ok, so after spending 900$ on parts today, I will be ordering 2.25/1.75 spacers from Brandon next paycheck. I'll have 2.25/1.75 spacers and a 3" BL to finally be able to comfortably get in/out.

My question is are 285's too big?

Unlike all the cool kids, I'm only 2wd... I don't go offroading as much as I drive around on the beach or around town. I faintly recall reading that with that large of tire I would have to regear? I'm going to keep my stock 17's just because I really like them, and I don't want to stress anything too much going that large... I know the V8 will handle it, and I'll be picking up a deep transmission pan to help the tranny handle it (Thanks Ronin8002 for the idea). And, I will have replaced 70%-80% of the suspension/brake systems by then. Let me know what all you guys think, this is happening over the next 3-4 weeks... THANKS!

(Purchased today)
Magnaflow Catback - 350$
K&N CAI - 150$
Replacement tail light :/- 40$
6 K/C HiLites to FINALLY finish off my roofrack - 150$
PA 883 BL - 125$
Brakedust shields - 80$

(to buy next check)
BTF spacers
Fix window tint
Deep tranny pan
Brush Guard
HID's
Fluids/plugs/tune up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember that with out the extended arms those spacers put some major stress to your ball joints.

actually the balljoint angles arent bad at all with the spacers. its just when you off road frequently that they become over stressed upon flexing.

Brian, do you know what your stock gearing is? with my 285's and v6, towing is absolutely horrible (pedal to the floor upon take off and my truck slowly accelerates). I've also noticed a big hit in gas milage over 245's. one last thing, your spedometer will be off by about 5 mph under 50 mph and about 10-12mph up around 60-70 mph so you may want to consider purchasing a tuner from henson performance. the tuner will allow you to change your pcm settings to a 285 tire, therefore, fixing your speedometer.

this guy has the same setup you are planning on
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257689

actually the balljoint angles arent bad at all with the spacers. its just when you off road frequently that they become over stressed upon flexing.

Brian, do you know what your stock gearing is? with my 285's and v6, towing is absolutely horrible (pedal to the floor upon take off and my truck slowly accelerates). I've also noticed a big hit in gas milage over 245's. one last thing, your spedometer will be off by about 5 mph under 50 mph and about 10-12mph up around 60-70 mph so you may want to consider purchasing a tuner from henson performance. the tuner will allow you to change your pcm settings to a 285 tire, therefore, fixing your speedometer.

this guy has the same setup you are planning on
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257689

I'll be replacing my balljoints as well, so not too worried about that... (Any recommendations on some good ones?)

I have NO IDEA what my stock gearing is, or even how to find out. All I know is I'm RWD with limited slip. I guess the question would have to be is it difficult/expensive to regear?

I'm hoping with my V8 towing won't be TOO bad. It tows like a champ now, so I could live with a little slack...

Honestly a correct speedometer is not very high on the list at the moment... I'll order a tuner eventually (probably for christmas).

And BigOne65's ex is exactly how tall I want mine. Then I wont have to fall into my seat when I get in =]

Open your driver side door and look for your "axle code" and let me know what that is....it'll be a two digit number. And regearing won't be as bad considering you only have ro regear the back axle

Underneath axle on the bottom of the sticker it says D4.....

Ok so according to this list it's a 3.73 LS...

19 — 3.55 non-limited slip (Econoline, F-150)
18 — 3.08 non-limited slip (F-150)
17 — 3.31 non-limited slip (Econoline)
H9 — 3.55 limited slip (F-150, F-250)
B6 — 3.73 limited slip (F-150, F-250)
24 — 3.73 (Econoline)
32 — 4.10 (Econoline)
35 — 4.09 (Econoline)
34 — 3.73 (Econoline)
39 — 3.55 (Econoline)
52 — 4.10 (Econoline)
56 — 4.10 (Econoline)
81 — 4.63 (Econoline)
27 — 3.31 non-limited slip (F-250)
26 — 3.73 non-limited slip (F-250)
41 — 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 — 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 — 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 — 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 — 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 — 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 — 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
84 — 3.45 non-limited slip (Ranger)
86 — 3.73 non-limited slip (Ranger)
87 — 4.10 non-limited slip (Ranger)
89 — 4.56 non-limited slip (Ranger)
F6 — 3.73 limited slip (Ranger)
F7 — 4.10 limited slip (Ranger)
92 — 3.08 non-limited slip (Ranger)
R5 — 3.55 limited slip (Ranger)
91 — 3.27 non-limited slip (Ranger)
96 — 3.73 non-limited slip (Ranger)
R6 — 3.73 limited slip (Ranger)"

Yeppp! I've only got 3.55 gears so youll be a little better off than me. If you do plan on regearing id go up to 4.56s just to make towing all the easier

Ok great! Now to pick Ronin8002's brain about how he did it..... although he only went to 4.11???? Something I can do in my driveway on a Sunday? Or could I just buy a 4.10 (D2) and swap them out?

id just regear with new parts, yukon gears probably and i believe he only went 4.11 because he only runs 265's. and from what ive heard, gearing is one of those things you leave for the professionals

i say just regear with new parts because its so rare to find the 4.10 gears on a junked explorer. been lookin at 8 0r 9 junkyards for about a year now for the D2 gearing and no luck

that and i think if you regear you will get wyrm gears instead of clutch plates, which wear out over time???

EDIT: for balljoints do moog k80008s

Wouldn't happen to have a parts list and a place to buy them would you? Also a how-to would be great....lol

For parts id talk to ronin

Kazers definitely right about the professional part too, if you have no experience with rear ends I wouldnt touch it. Its really easy to mess them up and if that happens youre gonna be emptying the bank. And just throwing my 2 cents in id go with 4.11's...Good luck on it tho!

And just throwing my 2 cents in id go with 4.11's...Good luck on it tho!

i figured since he'll be towing he'd probably want that extra help of 4.56's. i've read on jeep forums that 33's and 4.11s are perfect for daily driving, but struggle when towing. google for a gear ratio calculator and it should tell you(based on the mph and rpms you input) what gear ratio is best for how your truck performs. i guess it depends on how much and how often you tow?

Yeah It would definitely make towing easier but I think once he gets up around 60 mph itll start killing his gas mileage. I'd like to know what exactly it is hes towing too because if its nothing huge I think 4.11's would pull it just fine since he has a V8

Towing a 28ft SeaRay CC just about every weekend. She's a beast....

Idk, I have NO IDEA WTF I'm doing when it comes to automotive mechanics. I could build you a flatscreen out of parts you find in a radioshack, but I don't know the first thing about differentials. Would I be able to just buy a D2 (4.10) or 4.56 differential as a whole and just swap them round? I think I could manage that... If so, where would I go about finding one? Google couldn't find anything so I'm out of ideas.....

All good advice.

Hey HiImBrian, since you have a V8 and 3.73s I'd put on the tires and see how it goes before worrying about gearing yet. You've got a lot more torque down low than the V-6 SOHC so I think your truck will be more forgiving with the tire size upgrade.

4.10 or 4.56 would be a good bump up from what you have now. The 2002-2010 explorers didn't come with anything but either 3.55s or 3.73s in the axles, so regearing with aftermarket parts is the only option. Plan on about $500 in parts and at least that much in labor to get the gears done. Don't go cheap on the parts either because you'll increase the chances of unwanted gear noise even if the install is good. Yukon Master Rebuild kits have good seals and bearings, and their gears are good too. I have also heard good things about FRPP brand products.

Research a good driveline shop in your area that has a lot of experience doing differential work and will warranty the job.

Yes its expensive, but done correctly it will last the life of the truck and will also take stress off your drivetrain from the larger tires, especially if you tow.

Just so you know what goes into regearing, here's a link that shows how its done and why its such exacting work:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144780

Also, that write up is for a solid axle explorer, not an independent rear like our trucks have. So more work has to be done on ours to get the whole differential assembly out of the truck as you can't work on it with it installed in the truck.

you can save some money on the labor if you drop the diff out of the truck yourself and take it to the shop for the gear install. That's what I did and I paid 300 dollars each for the front and rear install...if the shop had done that it would have cost more. Look for the Aussie Locker install thread at the top of the modified 2002-2005 forum and it will list the steps you need to drop it and reinstall it.

The 2002-2010 explorers didn't come with anything but either 3.55s or 3.73s in the axles

What about the 41, 42, 43, D1, and D2 axle codes?

I don't think that axle code list is specific to 2002-2010 models...those same codes can be found on earlier models.

not sure if Ford ever made a LS 3.55 for a 3rd or 4th gen. I am 99% sure all you could get were 3.55 open, 3.73 open, or 3.73 LS. Could be a few special-order type exceptions out there but I believe those 3 options are what you would find on most if not all of those models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know they are alike and different at the same time, but what a Mountaineer? Did any of those come with a 4.10 and would that work?

Back