Short runner intake installed

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
Got my short runner intake manifold on finally....it allowed me to eliminate all of the long vortech tubing from my engine bay. It also lets me get into boost faster...I have to do more testing to see if I get more boost from it now that all of those long tubing sections and bends have been eliminated.

16158CIMG00041.jpg

16158CIMG00021.jpg

16158CIMG00011.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats awsome, propperly tuuned how much whp do you think it will have?

Well when I dynoed before the intake manifold install I only had 200rwhp....I think several factors were holding it back....the excessive tubing being one of them. Hopefully this latest mod will be worth around 10-15 HP. The other factor limiting me was tuning, which when I am done with that, hopefully I'll be pushing 230-240+. Water/methanol injection will give me more....it's hard to say how much but if I am lucky maybe I can get close to 300.

And even if I can't pass 300 with those mods, I will still be installing a small shot of nitrous on top of everything else....so maybe that'll do it.

Although the HP goal of 300 is nice I try not to focus on it as an end in itself....my goal is for low 14's in the quarter.

Thats sweet, you byfar have the best 1g here. must be nice to spank 5.0's, allthough I heard the new explorer has the mustang GT engine at 296 hp. prolly goofd for 16+ seconds anyways.

Unlike you I have to have a different vehicle for fast one, If I could make my explorer fast like yours I deffinatly would.

heres some pics if your interested. Do you have a cardomain site aswell?
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/368743

Hey thanks....usually people's response is...."why?" or "why not put in a v-8"

I'm just having fun and seeing how far I can push a stock bottom end while keeping it as a fairly reasonable daily driver.

Don't know if I could spank anything with a 5.0 unless it's another Explorer....it's hard to be fast when you're heavy :D

If that new Explorer is only running 16 seconds then I might be able to beat it...my last 1/4 mile was a 15.6.

I like your Talon....turbos are by far the best forced induction power adder out there and if I had known about STS rear mount turbos when I first started modding my truck I probably would have gone that route. How much boost are you running and how much did you bore/stroke when you rebuilt? What compression ratio are you running?

Don't have a cardomain page but I have been thinking about doing one...I have some exterior mods that I want to do first since my truck looks pretty much stock (but then maybe that's a good thing :) )

Nice project, congrats. I don't know how far you plan to modify, but if you have the stock EECIV system, then that is your weakest link(not counting the transmission).

The later OBDII PCM's are much much better for tuning for serious modifications. For a lot of work, you could change to a later system, and transmission to match. I don't know the details, but there are people here who could help. If that is within your project dreams, contact Doug904, the PCM tuner sponsor here. He could very well explain your current limitations, and what a later PCM could help you to do. Good luck,

On stock intercooling for daily driver I had it @ 17 psi, and with an upgraded intercooler I would go ashigh as 21 psi. The bottom end can make 450 whp on stock internals.

The only internal changes were rods and main bearing .010 over, and bore .20 over. Its at stock compression which is 7-8-1 but I will be replacing the pistons with 8-5-1

I will be redoing it next summer hoping for 450-500 FWHP.

The stock OHV 4.0 has 7.8:1 compression? That would be very low, even for a Ford. The OHV 4.0 engine is notorious for pinging, so I am surprised if it isn't more than 9:1 stock. Regards,

were talking about my 1990 eagle talon turbo

CDW6212R said:
Nice project, congrats. I don't know how far you plan to modify, but if you have the stock EECIV system, then that is your weakest link(not counting the transmission).

The later OBDII PCM's are much much better for tuning for serious modifications. For a lot of work, you could change to a later system, and transmission to match. I don't know the details, but there are people here who could help. If that is within your project dreams, contact Doug904, the PCM tuner sponsor here. He could very well explain your current limitations, and what a later PCM could help you to do. Good luck,

Why does he need a better tranny? He already has the 700R4.

That cleans it up very nicely under the hood. Any idea what you're going to do with extra room now? ;)

Keith303 said:
were talking about my 1990 eagle talon turbo
Sorry, I had forgotten the previous posting about the Talon. Those TSI's are nice. I wish the Dodge Stealth had come with a stronger transmission.

The 7004R is a great transmission, I didn't know that it was in his truck. Then the operating system could be changed to the OBDII with no difference in transmission function. Regards,

I investigated changing over to a later PCM but it looked like more trouble than it was worth and then I'd still have to get it tuned. I decided that the new brains for the truck will be a Simple Digital Systems ECU....I can tune it for anything plus the handheld controller acts as a datalogger.

Here is a link to where I got it and it talks about some of it's functions and capabilities from about halfway down the page to the bottom.

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/sds.htm

It will use the stock ford sensors since I have harness made for it...only changes will be that I will convert from MAF to a speed density system (using a MAP sensor), I have a new crank pulley that is set up for a Hall sensor (magnetic). The amount of wiring I have to do is minimal....basically hook up the SDS to the factory harness.....replace the ignition coil driver with the one that came with the SDS, install the MAP sensor, install the new crank pulley and Hall sensor, and rewire one of the fuel injectors so it batch fires 4/2 instead of 3/3. Should be able to get it in and running in a day's time.

It also has a wideband 02 sensor datalogging function....I'm going to use the stock sensor for now and once I start playing with the water/methanol injection and nitrous I will use the wideband so I can tune on the street or track. Right now it has a program already put into it that will get me pretty close with my current setup.

Here's a thread from a few days ago showing all my SDS stuff and the intake ready to be installed:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140973

As far as the extra space I hope I don't have to squeeze much of anything else in there other than my water/methanol injection system and lines and the nitrous control module and lines. It was cumbersome trying to even check the oil with all of those tubes in there before.

I love the 700r4...it is built to be able to handle up to 450hp/tq. It shifts at about 3200 at medium throttle and 4800 at WOT, but I can make it shift during slow driving by tapping the gas lightly. Plus it's got a great overdrive...2000rpm at 70mph with 3.73 gears is nice :)

Excellent, the aftermarket route is always an option, but most people avoid the high cost, or the changeover. Sounds like a plan, regards,

you only got 200whp, wow i would of thought you would of had like 300hp, but the manifold looks good, where'd you get it

well considering stock whp is about 125, 200 is good, and its not even tunned to its potential.

A gain of 75 HP and torque is a VERY noticeable improvement as far as seat of the pants. More importantly...in my setup that power is also available up high in the RPMs...something that the stock motor is lacking.

If all goes well I am hoping to achieve 300rwhp or come very close.

I got the intake from Western Motorsports....they have a machinist named Trevor Cole who makes the intakes as well as other things, like pulleys, brackets....if it can be programmed into a CNC machine...he can make it. His skills are getting in pretty high demand these days so it might take him a while to make you one....but it would definitely be worth the wait.

do you have any pics of the airfilter on the supercharger?

Looks awsome, you should fabricate a heat shield to go around it from the radiator side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thought.......I was considering doing something like that but seeing as I have all of this nice mendrel bent tubing from the Vortech kit laying around now....I think I may use it to relocate the filter down behind the front bumper....the air down there should be relatively cool.

By the way....that 80mm MAF and filter are a single unit that I will be selling soon if anyone is remotely interested.

Back