should i backspace or change offset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should i backspace or change offset

aleej

Reaction score
City, State
north & south brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97sport/95ram/87trooper
im going to get a set of 31s soon, and im thinking about getting a new set of rims.. should i backspace and change my off set.. i currently have 15x7 if im not mistaken (what ever was stock on the 97 sport) i was thinking about eiter 1 15x8 or 14x8 not sure but if i get a wider rim should i backspace or offset.. any suggestions or word from experience..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from my understanding if you would keep the same backspacing on the 8 inch wide rims, your rim should stick out an inch further. someone please correct me if i am wrong, cuz i am contemplating new rims myself..

8-inch wheel use 3.75" backspacing (-13mm offset).

cuz itll rub if u dont right?

I was looking at the Cragar soft 8's..... do they come in different backspacing options?? I didnt see anything on their website.. just overall sizes..

I was looking at the Cragar soft 8's..... do they come in different backspacing options?? I didnt see anything on their website.. just overall sizes..

Cragar's website says the offer a 15"x8" soft 8 in a 4" backspacing/ -13 offset. Also read the offset sticky.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153350
ExplorerDMB has a picture of his truck with a 15"x8" with 3.75" backspacing and -19 offset. If you use the Cragar soft 8 then your rim would shift in 1/4" or 6 mm

I read that thread like 100 times already :D Where did you see that info on Cragars website? i couldnt find it....

Cragar's website says the offer a 15"x8" soft 8 in a 4" backspacing/ -13 offset. Also read the offset sticky.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153350
ExplorerDMB has a picture of his truck with a 15"x8" with 3.75" backspacing and -19 offset. If you use the Cragar soft 8 then your rim would shift in 1/4" or 6 mm

I'm slightly confused..... I am not sure what my factory 16x7's offsets are, so thats part of the problem. I plan on pulling a wheel tomorrow cuz i couldnt find that info anywhere. But based on the offset calculator for new cragar 8's to go inward 6mm (like you had mentioned) my current offset would need to be -32mm?? does that sound correct?

Back