• Register Today It's free!

Should I Buy? (1995)

jprin

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Stumbled onto a '95 XLT 4X4 that has been hit in the RF. Took out the grill and lighting assembly and the bumper and the hood. Engine (4.0L) appears fine and the radiator and condenser appear to be fine. The hit appears to have happened right into the corner of the front bumper. Unfortunately, it slightly bent the frame just behind the wheel perch and another slight bend (both bends inboard) in front of the perch. It was enough to break the steering rack mounts. It has 70,000 miles and the interior is very nice (power everything) and no other damage on the rest of the body. It's privately owned because owner turned down the $500 offer from insurance.

I can do everything myself except the frame straightening and paint. My options are to take it to a frame shop, then bolt on the fender, hood, etc. and have a paint shop shot it. Or, maybe find a straight frame, do the swap, then bolt on parts and have the panels painted. I would expect this to be the lil' ladys SUV for a couple of years when finished.

Experts: what is your advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much is he asking for it?

Good questio. We didn't get that far because I wanted to research first. Let's say $1000 - which would likely be my top price unless the collective wisdom in here tells me otherwise.

Everything sounds like a winner except for the bent frame part, IMHO I would steer clear of it personally just due to this fact, now if you want to partake in a huge project such as swapping frames then by all means but that wouldn't be a simple lil one day project, thats probably more trouble than its worth, much more than a 1000 i'd say your crazy.

Just my .02 though - Gd Lck

I like having a winter project, but this would be a big one, and a '95 in decent shape can be had for...what.....$4k unwrecked? I will talk with a frame shop on Monday.

Thanks.

Any other opinions out there?

Yeah I think if you look around you can find 95's pretty cheap, see what the frame shop says, depending on what they quote you & the guy wants to sell it for its still possible to probably get a good deal, I have never had to have a frame "fixed" so I have no idea what it would run. Most of the other stuff is pretty easy & relatively cheap fixes, like I said the frame is the only thing I would be worried about the rest could easily be a simple winter project ;)

send a PM to MonMix he is the resident professional frame and body man. He can help you.

Thanks, Glacier.

Back