Should I buy a 91 ex with manual trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy a 91 ex with manual trans?

Tyler Little

Reaction score
City, State
Brantford
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I found this 91 explorer with a manual transmission. it has over 300,000km on the engine and trans. It leaks about a quarter of oil every week, has snow tires and surprisingly not that rustyespecially being in the rustbelt. it also has the typical interior door panel issues. the guy wants $1,000 for it. Should I take it or walk away

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual trans are usually more reliable than the autos.

The oil leak would be of more concern to me. Is it the rear main seal, or something else? A quart a week a lot. That would be kind of annoying to me -- maybe enough to walk away. Unless the rest of the truck was good. Or unless you plan to fix it or have someone fix it.

$1000 Canadian Dollars is less in American (I think?). Is the truck a 4x4? I always value a working 4x4 more.

Manual trans are usually more reliable than the autos.
The oil leak would be of more concern to me. Is it the rear main seal, or something else? A quart a week a lot. That would be kind of annoying to me -- maybe enough to walk away. Unless the rest of the truck was good. Or unless you plan to fix it or have someone fix it.
$1000 Canadian Dollars is less in American (I think?). Is the truck a 4x4? I always value a working 4x4 more.

it does have 4x4 automatic only no manual locking hubs... here's what it looks like.
_27_zpsvtipsyle.jpg

_27%201_zpsb7ufncbk.jpg

Personally because of the oil leak I wouldn't waste my time. Unless you know exactly where it's leaking from and can fix it yourself or know someone who can fix it for cheap, it's not worth it. A quart a week is A LOT of oil.

Personally because of the oil leak I wouldn't waste my time. Unless you know exactly where it's leaking from and can fix it yourself or know someone who can fix it for cheap, it's not worth it. A quart a week is A LOT of oil.

I appreciate the feedback! I don't know what I would do without you guys seriously! I have been hunting for one of these suckers for a while and it's not everyday you see one with intact rockers and dog legs. The only things that bothers me is the fact it has 300,000KM and leaks oil I think it memory serves me correctly these 91's were notorious for cylinder head cracks? Is this correct?

Yah the 91-92 had some oil circulation issues to the top end which made it easier for the cylinder heads to eventually crack and caused some other issues. It might be a good idea to wait until a 93 or 94 pops up, they seem to have less issues.

I have a 91 EB that's almost exactly identical to this one, but mine looks the grandmother and this looks like the granddaughter. (except for the mileage ha)

I just bought another 91 today for 300. It's my first time building any vehicles, but I found my 5 speed EB and decided that I wanted to make it last as long as I can.

I don't really have anything to tell you that hasn't been said. Just felt like commenting on how pretty that one looks.

But I do have a question about the cylinder heads. Do any of you know what the cause is for the oil circulation problem? The ex that I just bought today blew a head gasket. maybe too. The guy said it sat since October. I mainly bought it for the frame and some suspension parts depending on quality. But I'm wondering if I should bother with a head gasket set or if I should wait until I find one or two 93-94 cylinder heads?

My wife's '92 had a leaking rear main seal which blew oil all over when being driven and used a substantial amount of oil depending on how much it was driven. I had the engine pulled and the seal repaired by an excellent local shop, costing us about $1200. Since we've had the vehicle since day one, obviously know its history, and intend to keep it as long as possible it was worth it to us. Without knowing the history - and where the leak is - I wouldn't have it done. Having said that, if I had the time and a place to work (neither of which I have now) I might very well do it myself - if the rest of the vehicle looks as nice as the body.

My wife's '92 had a leaking rear main seal which blew oil all over when being driven and used a substantial amount of oil depending on how much it was driven. I had the engine pulled and the seal repaired by an excellent local shop, costing us about $1200. Since we've had the vehicle since day one, obviously know its history, and intend to keep it as long as possible it was worth it to us. Without knowing the history - and where the leak is - I wouldn't have it done. Having said that, if I had the time and a place to work (neither of which I have now) I might very well do it myself - if the rest of the vehicle looks as nice as the body.

I think the guy selling it is asking too much for it, he didn't even mention in the ad about the oil leak and the few interior issues it has I had to ask those questions. I even asked if he had done any real maintenance to the engine and tranny, he responded with only having done the differentials and engine oil changes. No transmission fluid changes. Part of me wants the vehicle and the other part says stay away.

But I do have a question about the cylinder heads. Do any of you know what the cause is for the oil circulation problem?

Some of the channels for oil to pass are restrictive. And in the rocker/pushrod area the passages don't allow for enough pressurized oil to get to the pushrods especially on cold starts. I came across this info (probably here on EF) a while back:

There’s pressurized oil at the rocker shaft to lubricate the rockers, but there’s no direct way for that oil to get to the pushrod sockets. There’s a passage in each rocker that allows oil from around the rocker shaft to migrate out to the small hole in the top of the pushrod socket, but it’s wide open on the outer end so there is no pressure there to feed the oil down into the socket.

Did you drive it? How does it drive? Try the 4wd, try 4lo. Look with a flashlight to try to see where the oil leak is.
$1000 is kind of high, offer less! Offer 600, see what he says. I'd say it's worth 600-800.

Did you drive it? How does it drive? Try the 4wd, try 4lo. Look with a flashlight to try to see where the oil leak is.
$1000 is kind of high, offer less! Offer 600, see what he says. I'd say it's worth 600-800.

no I didn't drive it I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Yes surprisingly the push button 4x4 does work. The vehicle has high kms and as far as the service history it's just had the usual engine fluids done and differentials other than that it is stock nothing rebuilt which kinda sucks

I payed 5 hundred foot my 94 put a really good rebuilt trans in it manual locking huh conversion and sword in a LSD on 31 12.5 with 3.27 gears (don't ask me how I have not killed the trans) I regret nothing I'm taking it to trucks gone wild in March

I payed 5 hundred foot my 94 put a really good rebuilt trans in it manual locking huh conversion and sword in a LSD on 31 12.5 with 3.27 gears (don't ask me how I have not killed the trans) I regret nothing I'm taking it to trucks gone wild in March

I sold my 94 XLT it had the A4LD Automatic transmission that was missing 3-4 gears, previous owner never changed the fluid it was black and burnt. I figured I should avoid the automatics at all costs given their poor reputation. So I figured the manual would be my best bet. I always ask for other people's opinions so here I am and I don't think I will buy it.

Well I got very lucky I got mine from a junk yard and turned out to be a fresh rebuild and who ever rebuilt it knew what they where doing I've used my truck for things you should use a1 ton for my favorite was pulling down walls in a mobile home truck was pulling so hard I had sun shine under all 4 tires from the bouncing but still drives great so the auto can be a great trans if it is built right and treated right of I do anything other than on road driving I keep it in 4 low

1k I way too high for having anything wrong with it.

Get a '94, with a manual trans.

I bought my 93 XLT 5 speed in 98, it had 77K miles on it and was lightly used. Now it has 258K miles on it and still going strong. If my knees and shoulder weren't having problems I'd probably drive it another 150K miles. But they are so I just bought a 93 Limited with automatic transmission (to a stick shift guy like me, that's like going over to the Dark Side). :)

I HIGHLY recommend the 5 speed transmission. Just make sure the rubber plugs have been changed for metal, so the fluid doesn't drain out and your trans doesn't burn up. I have a new clutch put in around every 70K miles. Treat the transmission with respect and it will last.

Back