• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an Air Lift or no?

Arynrai10

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I'm looking to lift my truck for new tires due to snow and ice. I have an 01 sport trac that I'm putting on 33's. I'm looking at lifts and I keep seeing the air lift suspension system. So is this the same thing as a regular suspension lift? Or is it only used for hauling and towing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

typically air lift is known for towing and weight load distribution

Yup. But, a set of rear air shocks will definitely lift the rear a good 2 inches all by itself. I would like to see how adjusting the torsion bars will lift the front as I would like to level my ST out a little with my air shocks. It will become more important though when my current tires wear out and I put on some larger ones.

galaactica if you are stock hieght and running stock 245's or 235 tires you truck will look like mine with 265/75R16 tires (31.5"-32") and 1.75 lift front ans rear using procomp explorer EXP 13120 add-a-leafs and torsion twist

before with 235/70R16
IMG_0022.jpg

after with 1.75" torsion twist and procomp add-a-leafs (EXP 13120) and 265/75R16
20121103_1424341.jpg

it has been noticed that the monroe max air shocks and the load leveling/adjusting shocks also from monroe give up to a 1.5" rise i personally dont know if they do but its all relative to the truck in question if you have been running shackles and your leafs are flattened due to the shackles and years of miles you'll see more lift than a newer lesser mile'd truck with nice arched leafs

05Dakotatrac, my rear looks like your lifted picture and my front looks like your non-lifted picture. Whoever owned my ST before me put 245/70-16's on it and they look pretty little... Did you do the torsion twist yourself? I assume you must have the front realigned after, eh?

Yes the torsion twist I did myself and the alignment is needed. If you are 4WD then do not exceed 2" if your are 2WD then you can go 3"

Yes the torsion twist I did myself and the alignment is needed. If you are 4WD then do not exceed 2" if your are 2WD then you can go 3"

I only need to go basically to what you did. I just want to level it out and make plenty of room for 265/75-16's. It helps that mine came with the 4.10ls rear. And yes, mine is 4WD.

Do what I did and you should be fine only issue is full lock sway bar rub

Back