should i buy it!!!!!!!

Charlie's_93EB

Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Reaction score
City, State
Venice florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
Well have you ever been surfing ebay and bid a rediculuos low price on some thing? Well I bid on this a 98 V8 AWD Explorer EBauer. I did not win (reserve not met) but the guy just did a 2nd chance for me. So i can get it for $2,750.
The Ex is in my city so NO shipping.

The thing is i really do not need it. But i really want it. It would be

(A)It would be a family sharded car (It is real nice to have a space car), I do not know how much longer the 93 will live.
or
(B) My dad would buy it and sell his buick

Either way my dad and i are going to look at it on Monday.

So my question is what are the pro's and con's? Please do not tell me to search it i tried, feel free to give me better KEY WORDS.

MPG city, hightway.
Dependable? weak spots strong points??

oh here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASCO%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=120040891166

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a heads up, there have been alot of phony Second Chance offers floating around. Not too big a deal since the vehicle is located near you.

Looks like a good buy to me. The 5.0 is a rock solid motor, especially if well maintained. The trans behind it is strong, probably one of the best ford has made.

MPG is not great but about 14-15 town 18-19 highway stock with an easy foot. I guess, mine wasn't stock for long.

If I had the opportunity and it all checked out, id buy it.

I haven't had hardly a problem out of mine (well, not any problems that I didn't cause...) It has been very reliable and held up well to my abuse.

The only downside is the transmission. The trans is a 100 times better then the trans behind the V6, but it still has 160k on it, so you're pushin the limit (with any trans, not just this one). As far as mileage, it's not great, but its no worse then a V6. When mine was stock I got around 20 on the highway and 15 or so around town.

Overall these are very dependable and I think this is a great deal. Keep in mind though that it does have 160k on it. Depending on what has been done to it already, there will be things wearing out sooner then later (ball joints, CVs, U Joint, bushings, bearings, etc) but nothing too expensive and nothing unexpected with this many miles. You can afford to put a little money into this at this price!

I'd buy two of them at the price! :D It looks pretty clean too.

Contact the seller first.

Don`t attempt to send any deposit because second chance offer most likely is a scam.

try to work cash/cashier check in full when you pick up the car. it seems a good deal if its real.

good luck

If it is the real deal, I would buy it in a heart beat...

As long as

A) They have a clear title
B) The title is not a salvage vehicle

BBQ_HotDogs said:
If it is the real deal, I would buy it in a heart beat...

As long as

A) They have a clear title
B) The title is not a salvage vehicle
Not trying to be an ass about it, but I thought that a "clean title" implied it was not a salvage title.

Or can you have a title which is "clean" but also salvage?

As far as buying the truck. I'd go for it! The price seems good. I concur with everyone else though about making sure you don't get burned. EBay transactions can be treacherous, especially with big ticket items. Just be careful. :)

A clean title that is not salvage would be rebuilt or remanufactured, basically a vehicle with a slavage title that was fixed and retitled.

You can buy a salvage titled vehicle in some states and retitle in another state without salvage title. I did this from SC to GA on my mustang.

I'd be on that thing faster than I'd be on top of Denise Richards. Thats one helluva deal. Check it out, take cash. If its the real deal, offer him $2500 cash. He obviously needs to sell it bad if he's willing to get rid of it that cheap, or something is seriously F'd up. Drive it and decide.

well i taked to the seller today, it turns out that the truck is in the next town south. about 20 miles in North Port. The guy gave me the address and I ask a one of my best friends, Ryan, if he would look at it for me. Ryan also took some pics for me so when I get them I will post them here. Ryan said it looks perfect inside and out 100%, the only thing he can see weird is that in his words he can see though the wheel well to the bumper, like it is missing some plasic in the well. Is this normal? And he said my insurance MIGHT run a car fax for me for free, i do not know, I will post the vin when i get it so if any of you guys has unlimited or free usage can run it for me if you like.

Oh the radio display does not lit up?? what is that?

I will popst the pics when i get them.

Radio displays conking out is typical. It can be fixed, but its a ***** to do. And the inner wheel well missing is likely a repair from an accident. Run the carfax first. Wrecks only show up from dealer style body shops though, as private body shops don't ahve to report.

hey my radio thing dose not light up...why not?

well i taked to the seller today, it turns out that the truck is in the next town south. about 20 miles in North Port. The guy gave me the address and I ask a one of my best friends, Ryan, if he would look at it for me. Ryan also took some pics for me so when I get them I will post them here. Ryan said it looks perfect inside and out 100%, the only thing he can see weird is that in his words he can see though the wheel well to the bumper, like it is missing some plasic in the well. Is this normal? And he said my insurance MIGHT run a car fax for me for free, i do not know, I will post the vin when i get it so if any of you guys has unlimited or free usage can run it for me if you like.

Oh the radio display does not lit up?? what is that?

I will popst the pics when i get them.

I took my inner plastic out. It makes it tons easier to work on the motor (especially plugs and wires). So it's not necessarily a bad thing it's not there. :D But it does keep the engine bay much cleaner with them intact.

hey my radio thing dose not light up...why not?

You can probably do a search on this for eleven billionty how-to threads. :cool:

I would have to take a real good look at it before I bought any vehicle with 162,000 miles on it for a d-driver. Especially with motors and trannies ranging in the thousands of dollars.
On the plus side you do have some room for repairs paying $2,700 for it.
My guide lines for buying used are in this order:
1-Body condition-excessive rust.
2-Motor condition.
3-Tranny condition.
4-Mileage-Unless it has real high mileage then mileage steps up a notch or two.
However nothing beats the body condition-excessive rust out of the #-1 spot.
Make SURE you check it out and CARFAX it. The one time charge is about $20.00 and the 30 day is $25.00. I suggest the 30 day because if you find something wrong with the first one you will be looking at others too.
Good luck.
OH! and BTW: NOTHING except family beats a house out of first place!!!

Buy it as an investment in your future house

provided you add some improvements.....if it all checks out I bet you could get more than you are going to put in.......

Charlie, buy it and donate it to me. Donations are tax deductable...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back