• Register Today It's free!

Should I Buy It?

JoieDeMort

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Base
Hello, love the depth of knowledge here - lurked for a while.

My wife has a base FWD 2018 Explorer. It's sufficient. I miss the memory seats and CarPlay and auto liftgate and leather seats and keyless entry and push button start and other doodads of the Subaru Outback lease that I just returned.

I have the opportunity to get a 2018 Explorer PIU (3.7L, nothing special) with less than 250 miles for ~$20k. Is this a good price? Original purchaser got a great deal because body was slightly damaged at the dealership, then the vehicle sat in a lot for a year and a half after repairing slight damage (nothing reported on VIN).

Should I get it? An Explorer Sport has everything I want, but then I'm looking at ~60K miles for a similar cost (closer to $25k) and therefore completely out of warranty with no known history. If I got this PIU I'd likely add the ~$2k sync 3 upgrade from OEM solutions.

Thank you for your time and any advice you might have!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel you on an Explorer Sport but if only has 250 miles...not 250,000 miles sounds like a GREAT deal for $20k!

The PIU's don't usually come with many frills, so if those are important to you...... But if you want good solid all weather transportation, seems like a great price :)

Welcome to the Forum Joie. :wave:
If you get the PIU, make sure that it comes with the factory warranty. Sometimes vehicles that were damaged carry a specific type of title that may make them ineligible for the warranty. Also, take into consideration that it has been sitting around for 1.5 years. Check the underbody for signs of extreme rust etc. There are several members here that have changed out many parts of their PIU with parts from a retail Explorer. Good luck.

Peter

Has it had all the holes and gear installed and then removed? If it it’s probably a solid choice for the cash.

Thanks for your input!

I checked the VIN - the title is clean (not salvage or rebuild).

The vehicle has no holes - it's literally never been used. It was damaged at the dealers, someone bought it for a purpose that didn't pan out, so now he's trying to get rid of it.

Good thought about checking the undercarriage for rust - just to make sure.

I agree about good all weather travel - that's what I liked my Subaru for and my previous police tahoe. Awesome driving in terrible rain and thick clay mud and on sandy beaches. Couldn't stop the Tahoe, and with tires aired down to 15, couldn't stop the Subaru (Tahoe was much better in poor conditions). But my wife's FWD Explorer is terrible in rain or even trying to get across an intersection quickly.

One thing that I have not seen anywhere with many google searches is how AWD PIUs behave in sand and thick mud compared to regular 4WD explorers which have options with the 4WD. Any thoughts?

I get the idea from the comments above that it's probably better to start with a "new" PIU and add whatever doodads I can to it than to get an antique Explorer Sport.

Thanks again for your positive feedback!

With none of the typical post-police Swiss cheesing and no mileage/idle hours this would probably be as good as it gets with the PIU. If you’re fine with the lack of creature comforts( or the effort of installing them) this is probably the one.

Back