Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Im pretty iterested....
And its V8 so even better lol

What do you guys think?

Brakewise: he said the pads arent grinding, but from what he can see, theyre getting a little worn down, all 4 disc brakes, runs good, gray CLOTH interior..dont really like that, but if anything down the road ill buy a set of grey leather seats lol...or even black if they have black explorer leather seats?

Kinda iffy about the mileage though :( perfect everything but i wanted under 120k
http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1159104119.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take him $1500 and come back with a very decent Explorer. I'd jumped all over that.

How much rust is on it? I can see some on the rear hatch. I'd climb under that sucker and make sure it's not a rust bucket. Deffinitely check the rear spring shackles as I'm wiling to bet they are almost non-existant being a Michigan vehicle.

Yeah if it doesnt look too bad underneath I would definitely purchase especially for $1500

if i were you i would keep looking (im not saying its not worth the money, but there are better deals to be found) for example, i bought my 99 xlt v8 with 91000 miles for 1200. and it has the sport package which i think looks awsome. and it just needed some work (brakes, tires, water pump)

Miles are very high. Busted windshield will cost $$ if you need to get that fixed to tag it. Assume you will need new front rotors, caliper(s) and pads. I'd also be concerned about the engine miss. Check the trans, 4wd and blend door.

I'd offer him $1000 cash. All he can do is say no. It depends on how much work you can do yourself vs. paying someone.

if i were you i would keep looking (im not saying its not worth the money, but there are better deals to be found) for example, i bought my 99 xlt v8 with 91000 miles for 1200. and it has the sport package which i think looks awsome. and it just needed some work (brakes, tires, water pump)

Miles are very high. Busted windshield will cost $$ if you need to get that fixed to tag it. Assume you will need new front rotors, caliper(s) and pads. I'd also be concerned about the engine miss. Check the trans, 4wd and blend door.

I'd offer him $1000 cash. All he can do is say no. It depends on how much work you can do yourself vs. paying someone.

i agree with you both, i think im just gonna wait, what got me was the fact that it was V8, id love to have a v8 ex, but if im gonna have it i want something in a little better shape, and WAYY less miles,

Heres the post I read when I had called him
"Runs and drives good, V8, 4x4, new alternator..."

Now...a few hours later heres another ad i found of his, same explorer:
(well i just looked, as i refreshed the first ad, he deleted it)

but it said something like
"engine runs and starts up, but when it gets warm theres a loud knocking noise, the exhaust leaks..."

i was like wow...same explorer, one makes it look close to mint, minor work needed, other make it seem like a cheap POS!

Sounds like you should keep looking. The best time to buy a used vehicle, is when you don't need to have one right away. That puts you in the 'drivers seat' (no pun intended) when it comes to negotiation.

Yea I dont need one right away, im just the impatient type, and ive been wanting one for a couple months now, plus my 92 isnt getting any better lol.

I got so pissed today, guy called about my taurus for 2200$ said he was on his way to look blah blah, so i sat home for almost 3 hours, never showed, tried callin him like 6 times, left a voicemail, texts, then finally we left to go back to my gf's house, then his wife calls from the number sayin...oh they left so they'll have to come look another day so i took that as a NO he's not buying it.

Idk what made me more mad, the fact that I sat, cleaned it up again, let her warm up, and all that for 3 hours, then get a call basically saying NO, or the fact that hes not buying it.

Every explorer that I like, and am really interested in on craigslist, is GONE when i call, or isnt gonna be on there by the time i get the car sold!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH i could seriously scream right now!

As mentioned earlier check on the shackles. Mine were dangerously rusted.

If your not the DIY kinda guy ill do pretty much any work you need done MUCH cheaper than any dealership just drop me a PM. Just throwing that out there since your right around the corner from me.

Good luck with the purchase. Whether its this one or another.

You'll like this, I hate waiting for buyers too. So did this seller I called once, to look at his boat.

His ad gave no clue to location, when I called he asked roughly where I was, and inturn asked if I knew where a major highway entrance was. When I said yes, he replied that he would be there in 20 min - In 30 min he would drive away with or without us (me) behind him. As soon as we pulled in behind him
he pulled away hard, with no indication of where we were headed.

Turned out to be nice guy, great lake front property, with a nice boat.
Just really tired of dealing with lookers.

Anytime I've had somthing to sell, I think of that time and smile.

You'll like this, I hate waiting for buyers too. So did this seller I called once, to look at his boat.

His ad gave no clue to location, when I called he asked roughly where I was, and inturn asked if I knew where a major highway entrance was. When I said yes, he replied that he would be there in 20 min - In 30 min he would drive away with or without us (me) behind him. As soon as we pulled in behind him
he pulled away hard, with no indication of where we were headed.

Turned out to be nice guy, great lake front property, with a nice boat.
Just really tired of dealing with lookers.

Anytime I've had somthing to sell, I think of that time and smile.

im reading that over and over man i dont get it lol

As mentioned earlier check on the shackles. Mine were dangerously rusted.

If your not the DIY kinda guy ill do pretty much any work you need done MUCH cheaper than any dealership just drop me a PM. Just throwing that out there since your right around the corner from me.

Good luck with the purchase. Whether its this one or another.

What exactly are shackles?
I feel pretty dumb asking, im just not to advance mechanical/bodywork wise :p

But thanks man, ill deff. keep in touch when I buy one, id trust you before any shop or random guy haha.

What exactly are shackles?
I feel pretty dumb asking, im just not to advance mechanical/bodywork wise :p

But thanks man, ill deff. keep in touch when I buy one, id trust you before any shop or random guy haha.

The leaf spring shackle is how the leaf spring connects to the frame. Heres a video oh what they looked like stock when I got the vehicle as well as a review of the shackles I bought new. (how they should look.)

all i can say is holy sh*t that first video those were horrible! lol

yeah ill be SURE to check those on whatever explorer I get,
knowing people (in general) id ask hows the undercarriage and shackles look?

reply:
"what the f*ck is a shackle"

But thanks alot man i really appreciate the info! ill keep you guys updated :D

Cool, sounds good :)

yeah I would keep looking. they made thousands of these *******s and its not like you wont run accorss another. And be aware when they say fresh oil change, often times they change the oil because the engine is falling apart (metal flakes in oil ) and they dont want you to know or they could be changing because antifreeze is also leaking into the oil. I'm very leary when people say they just changed the oil...

how much is your price range? I live in traverse City, MI and am selling my ex for $2500 O.B.O. here is the link to my listing.... http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/1153641391.html

I am ONLY wanting to sell cause I can use a truck more...like hauling our new ATV around :)

Shackles are the leaf springs that hold the back of the truck up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't buy it.

There are a ton of second Gens' without rust and sub 150k miles out there.

Back