Should I buy this explorer?

10explorerfl

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2010
Good day everyone,

I'm looking to expand into an suv, I own a cadillac cts, my wife has a sonata. Both are to small for our growing family. So we are trying to find a cheaper suv. We located a great condition eddie Baur edition for 7k, it's a 2010. How ever it has high milage, 167k miles.

Should I pull the trigger or pass it?

I've never owned a Ford more of a GM guy, however I love ford trucks.

I was reading that this model year has rear end diff problems with water entering the diff, costing $1,400 to fix...

I'm coming to the current time owners and experts on here for your recommendation;)

Thanks
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 or V8? V8 the plugs shouldn't be a problem, but the exhaust manifolds will probably cost you when the studs break off and the manifold crack. If its the V6 I would shy away. Just a matter of time before the engine goes due to timing chain cassette failure. Along with a weak transmission.

It is the V6, thanks for the info

V6 or V8? V8 the plugs shouldn't be a problem, but the exhaust manifolds will probably cost you when the studs break off and the manifold crack. If its the V6 I would shy away. Just a matter of time before the engine goes due to timing chain cassette failure. Along with a weak transmission.

I had a V6 that I put 213k miles on, however, I was very meticulous about maintenance and fixing anything that broke or was about to break. Also, when I sold it it did have a small timing chain rattle. Unless you are prepared to retro-fix (I just made that word up ;)) various things, are mechanically inclined with tools and know your way around under the hood, I would shy away.

What ford model would you recommend? Excursion?

An Explorer with the V8 would be your best bet.

If not already done, just budget replacing both front hubs and the thermostat housing (4.0), maybe radiator. Very common.

09 or 10 v8 models

would you guys recommend a 2007 V8 limited explorer or sport trac limited V8, similar mileage 125k?

I would, besides the spark plugs, they are great cars. I have an 06 and it does the job.
239k miles on original tranny.

Stay away from the V6? The 5r55 transmission has a manufacture defect that FORD will not fix, the only fix is a re manufacture transmission that will set you back 3000+

What manufacturing defect does the 5r55e have? I put 193k on a 5r55e until it finally died. The re-man trans I put in had a 2 year warranty plus mileage and was about $2200 installed.

Leaking servos and weak reverse band. I bought a re-manufactured unit from Street Smart Transmissions for 1800 incl shipping.

Everyone is giving good advice on the v6. I will say that I am a GM guy also. Im also a Jeep guy. I looked at Explorers because on paper they fit my needs perfectly. And they're pretty good looking. I test drove a couple V6's, even a limited. They were ok. Then I test drove my 2010 V8. NO COMPARISON. I get great MPG, there is PLENTY of power, and its just a better motor. There is no downside IMO except for having two more spark plugs to buy at tune up time. Mine was low miles and an Eddie Bauer. I didnt expect to love it as much as I do. Its totally turned me around on Ford. Since then Ive looked at trucks and might actually switch to a Super Duty and give my wife the Explorer.

Mine did have the rear diff replaced under warranty right before I got it. A seal failed and the fluid all leaked out without the owner knowing it. So it eventually grenaded. I also had the transfer case replaced under warranty because 4-low didnt work, and it was getting noisy. I think the Auto 4x4 on these is a mess. Its abusive to the t-case. But a bunch of folks never have an issue.

You'll be happy with a V8 06-10 I think. I would try to find one with 100k or less on it if you can. They're good vehicles as far as I can tell.

The Servos have Steel shaft and slide in the aluminum housing of the transmission. The re manufactured transmissions have steel sleeves so last forever. Ford knows this and refuses to spend the money to make a better transmission. Rock Auto has re-manufactured transmissions for $1500 but most shops around here want 800 to install. I would do it myself but Nellis AFB shut down the Auto Hobby shop so the Firestone dealer on base could profit?

I think the Auto 4x4 on these is a mess. Its abusive to the t-case. But a bunch of folks never have an issue.

I have been driving explorers for 10 years now. My previous one, a 99 XLT had the same 4x4 auto system. Sold it with 235K miles running just fine.

I have always felt exactly as you said, it seems violent and destructive when you mash the gas and 4x4 slams in. That said I have never had an issue. I have found it quite beneficial to have this 4x4 system. Nice to be able to turn it on and off while moving.

I can usually prevent the slams and I try to. First gear is so low, very easy to break the back tires loose.

Back