Should I Change Differential Gear Oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Change Differential Gear Oil?

GSEREP1

Reaction score
City, State
VALLEJO CALIF
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD 4 DOOR 5.0
Hello again,
I have a question for the wise readers of this forum. My 97 XLT 2WD V8 has the synthetic 75W140 gear oil that came from the factory. After 8 years of driving, I am begining to wonder if I should change it.

I have serviced everything else this week, and it is starting to bother me. 4 years ago, I looked at it, and decided to leave it in awhile longer. There is still no noise, no leakage or vibration.

On one hand I believe in the old theory that if it is not broken, don't fix it. The book says that since the V8's get this special fluid from the factory, it should not be CHECKED or CHANGED unless the axle has been submerged in water (I don't 4 wheel in a 2WD), or if leakage or noise warrants looking at it. The manual says in BOLD letters not to even CHECK it. I am suspicious.

On the other hand..(being the MOTORHEAD I am), I can't help feeling that the excellent differential performance will be maintained or enhanced further if I change this fluid. The dealership wants $75.00 for 3 quarts of this stuff at the counter, but I am planning to use AMSOIL EXTREME DUTY 75W140 SYNTHETIC FLUID for this application if I do it. Labor to replace it would be $100.00 dollars

So how about it....should I change it, or should I leave it alone. I won't feel as bad getting rid of good fluid as much as I would feel bad IF the differential gave me trouble down the road because I didn't check it and change it.

There is no warranty anymore, and the dealerships would LAUGH at me, if I tried to get them to fix it then using that logic from the book. I have about 235,000 miles on the vehicle so far.

My daughters' 2000 VW BEETLE with automatic transmission said the same thing...TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR LIFE. It doesn't even have a dipstick, and the fill port is hidden from the average driver. I actually let it go for 100,000 miles before changing it myself after a lot of research. It needed it badly, but no damage was done. So much for "don't worry about it". I know that transmissions are different than differentials in a sense, but there are clutches in the traction lock differential as well, and something should have degraded somewhat by now.

The cost of a VW transmission, or a FORD diffferential far outweighs the cost of transmission fluid, or synthetic gear oil. Plus I do the work myself to save money laborwise, and because I like to tinker with my cars.

I had a 96 Explorer XLT 2WD V8 (first year it came out), and I had differential troubles because of the gear/clutch chatter when going around corners. The unit was rebuilt, and fresh fluid and friction modifier was added. They were still learning about differential on the Explorers with the V8 engine.

A few months later, the problem resurfaced. Finally, after a service bulletin was generated directing them to use 75W140 synthetic oil and friction modifier, instead of the dino 80W90, my problems were solved.

So what does everyone think? Should I, or shouldn't I?

GSEREP1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as its topped off with the proper fluid, it should be fine. There isnt really much to differential "performance" for normally driven Explorers (you stated that you dont really take it off road).. i mean i guess as long as the diff allows you to turn without the chatter (which you mentioned due to improper fluid in your other explorer), then it should be fine.

how did you "look" at the diff 4 years ago? If you took the differential cover off, then that implies that you must have changed the oil.

I replaced my diff gear oil with synthetic Mobil 1 75w90 at 77,000 miles. It only took a few quarts and didn't cost much. I figured "What the hell, why not". I like knowing my vehicles are well taken care of so I did it.

I would. Get some new 140w synthetic in there. After years of driving your limited slip clutch packs slowly deteriorate so a fluid change would never hurt

Thanks for the quick responses. Actually, I did not service the unit. I opened the fill plug on the side, and stuck my finger in the hole. The fluid looked clean at the time.

My mileage has doubled since that time, and I was just concerned.

Thanks again for your responses.
GSEREP1

snocross1985 said:
synthetic Mobil 1 75w90 at 77,000 miles. It only took a few quarts

I'm quite the poor so, personally, i think that changing both the front and the rear to Mobil 1 was rather expensive.

GSEREP1 said:
and stuck my finger in the hole. The fluid looked clean at the time.

stick your finger in there again (wear a latex glove) and see if the oil is black - if it is, change it.

Thanks again,
My differential cover has never been off, and I did the brakes (rotors pads, and parking brake shoes a few days ago. The seals don't leak anywhere on the axle, so I don't see the sense in removing and replacing the seals though, if they are not leaking.

I think that I will change the fluid based on everyone's responses. The biggest abuse this car has seen is years of repeated stop and go driving, and long distance trips on the road by my wife.

I am just trying to keep it going strong.

GSEREP1

AhAH yeah i JUST edited my post cauz I thought it was pointless to replace the seals for most ppl.

Hey IZwack,
I see you live in Gaithersburg, MD. My oldest brother lives in Clinton, MD. I may drive the Explorer out to Clinton during the summer.

How far is that from Gaithersburg?

The only thing giving me anxiety about driving is the cost of gas. Gasoline is so expensive in California....$2.47 for the cheap stuff, and $2.60 and above for brand named stuff (Shell, Mobil, Union 76, Chevron). This is for regular grade. Traveling on the road is an American tradition. Most of us love to drive and see this great country of ours.

I hope gas gets cheaper as we cross the states. I think we pay more for gas than anyone else except for Hawaii at this point. Close to 3 bucks a gallon for regular over there...YIKES.

GSEREP1 said:
How far is that from Gaithersburg?

DC has a beltway around it named 495... If you think of this beltway as a clock, Clinton is about 10 minutes off from the 5 o'clock position... im about 15 minutes off from the 11 o'clock position. As for the total distance from Gaithersburg, Mapquest is reporting about 50 miles, most of which is spent on going around DC on this 495-beltway.

The gas here is a little bit cheaper than there.. the cheapest place around here (about 2 miles from my house) is actually back down to about $2.19 per gallon for the 87 octane... oh and this is a Chevron station so its a name brand.

YES, you are right of course. The beltway is quite an interesting place. My sister-in-law recounts when they first moved to MD from Louisiana. She spent 8 hours on the Beltway going around and around one day when she got lost.

She even got off, got gas, and got back ON! Hey, I never said my sister-in-law was the sharpest pencil in the box, ha ha.

Most folks would never spend that long going 'round and 'round.

Thanks for the quick response. I might look you up when I come out!

GSEREP1

how many quarts does it take to fill the differential? and which kinds would you recommend for limited slip? thanks, todd.

You need a friction modifier for limited slip along with synthetic diffy fluid.

any idea how many quarts are necessary?

I think about 3.

Chilton is saying 5.0 pints.. which is 2.5 quarts

j602 said:
You need a friction modifier for limited slip along with synthetic diffy fluid.

Not be an a-hole, but not true. Most synthetic gear oils do not require you add a friciton modifier in a limited slip diffy. I know Mobil 1 and Amsoil don't require you to add it. I am running Mobil 1 with no friction modifier in my limited slip and have been for 12,000 miles with no ill effects.

Oh ya, and the amount of fluid you need is just shy of 3 quarts. Buy 3 quarts and you will be set.

snocross1985 said:
Buy 3 quarts and you will be set.

NO no, :nono: dont pay for more than what you need.. ask if you can buy JUSt half a quart. AHAH KIDDING!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you need to buy a pump of some sort to get it in the diff? thanks, todd.

Back