Should I Change Differential Gear Oil? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Change Differential Gear Oil?

toddious said:
do you need to buy a pump of some sort to get it in the diff? thanks, todd.

Neh, the hard part is getting the snout of the gear oil thing into the hole... i use a long tube instead (about 5 ft) .. one end of the tube goes into the diff, and the other into the gear oil container

snocross1985 said:
Most synthetic gear oils do not require you add a friciton modifier in a limited slip diffy. I know Mobil 1 and Amsoil don't require you to add it. I am running Mobil 1 with no friction modifier in my limited slip and have been for 12,000 miles with no ill effects.

Ur right it's not required. Here's what the Mobil1 website says:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid. "

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IZwack said:
NO no, :nono: dont pay for more than what you need.. ask if you can buy JUSt half a quart. AHAH KIDDING!!!

Your a doofus :D

snocross1985 said:
Your a doofus :D
AHAHA THATS RIGHT!!!
dchaprj.jpg

Lloyd10977 said:
The ROYAL PURPLE website indicates that their MAX-GEAR synthetic requires no friction modifier addition.
http://royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html

While this may be true for some fluids, most gear oils need an additional friction modifier for limited slip applications.

Back