• Register Today It's free!

Should I Fix My Explorer?

DC Quick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I bought my 94 Explorer XLT in February, and I like her but she's been quite a hand full. I've had to replace the Idler Pulley and after I fixed that the Alternator went. Now she's sitting in my driveway, and I'm debating on wether I should fix her, scrap her or sell her. I need a new Alternator and Battery for it to run. Not counting the Rotors and brake pads that need to be replaced along with the push button 4x4. I need some advice, what do you guys think?

Edit: I dont want to fix her up and then have something else break. Then I'd have too much money into her to sell it. I dont know what to do.

Edit #2: Now that I'm thinking about all that is wrong with it. I just remembered that it doesn't hold anti-freeze, and when it did start, the temp would jump from normal to hot in a snap. Blah.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats nothing more than you will have to replace on any other car. Your battery was prob bad when you got it along with the brakes.

Fix it. Dont scrap it

i say fix it bc unless you buy a brand new car you're gonna end up putting money into whatever else you buy, might as well keep your explorer. if you do decide to get rid of it sell it don't scrap it

Fix it or sell it, but don't scrap it.

Once its back in running shape, it'll last forever, as most of them do.

I bought my 94 Explorer XLT in February, and I like her but she's been quite a hand full. I've had to replace the Idler Pulley and after I fixed that the Alternator went. Now she's sitting in my driveway, and I'm debating on wether I should fix her, scrap her or sell her. I need a new Alternator and Battery for it to run. Not counting the Rotors and brake pads that need to be replaced along with the push button 4x4. I need some advice, what do you guys think?

Edit: I dont want to fix her up and then have something else break. Then I'd have too much money into her to sell it. I dont know what to do.

Edit #2: Now that I'm thinking about all that is wrong with it. I just remembered that it doesn't hold anti-freeze, and when it did start, the temp would jump from normal to hot in a snap. Blah.

Look at it this way...it's paid for. A new car is gonna cost around $400 a month. That's $4800 a year you got to put in your Ex. and I'll betcha you won't need to.

Definately keep that beasty, you have a great support and troubleshooting network here on this site. Where else could you get this much advice for free!

i'd say fix it if you think you got it bad look at all the stuff i replaced on the explorer ( where my signature is ) i also got a new 2005 ( well some what newish) chevy and my payments are for 6 years ( yep you read right ) not to bad as far as loans go but i still owe 5k on it @ 222.99 a month and 3 more years to go :rolleyes:.

lot i could do with $222 a month but the x is paid for and to be honest with you i like it better than my chevy in some respects.

Scrap it and upgrade to a 2nd Gen or even 3rd Gen. By the time you are done fixing what needs fixing you would have enough money to buy a decent 2nd Gen Explorer or even an older 3rd Gen. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. The engine seized because of the famous timing chain problem. The ONLY reason I did not scrap it is because I bought my '97 brand new. It only has 86K miles and I know for a fact that the truck is going to be in MINT condition again after giving her a new engine. For the most part I was right. :D I had a chance to "scrap" it but chose not to and now I am out around $6000 - $7000 between getting the new engine and modding.

If I could go back would I do it again? To tell you the truth there are days when I wish I should've cut my losses and give up and just start fresh with a new vehicle. But then there are days after modding her gives me so much satisfaction that I thank the truck gods for not letting me give up on her. She's now my daily driver once again. Couldn't be happier. :)

I agree with Burns......fix it.

Fix it dude, once you get it running right, you'll be glad you did. I know I kinda look back and wished I kept my S-10, but I've also had a lot of fun learning to work on my Explorer.

Plus you have a 4x4, once you get it going right, and start in on some serious modding, it'll be a BEAST

IMO it depends on various factors.

1) Your $$ situation
2) Your mechanical ability
3) Your desire to keep the Explorer

If you have the tools and mechanical ability then keeping the truck would be a viable option that would save you alot of $$$ over the cost of a newer vehicle. Even dropping $$$ at a shop for repairs beats having a car payment and higher insurance premiums around your neck. But if you don't like working on your truck, or would have to pay a shop to do many of the repairs, and vehicle down time then getting rid of the explorer for a newer vehicle could save you money and lesson down time. (provided the newer vehicle will be more mechanically sound).

IMO all the issues you have listed are minor and easily corrected and with proper maintenance you shouldn'd have any big surprises.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that I notice you are from NY.I grew up there so just how rusty is this explorer? If it's a rot box ,junk it and go down south and buy one,I never buy cars up there unless I'm walking and then I buy junkers just to get by.Man I wish you knew how much time and money I spent in the past trying to fix rusty crap from up north,never again.:D

they're cheap enough now that you can get a 98-01 for whatever your price range.

sell your 96, and spend that money plus another $1500 to get a newer model.

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/dcquick/

That's what she looked like when I bought her, almost a year ago. Not much has changed. Except someone stole the Ford Emblem off the grille. She very little rust, as you can tell by the pictures. That rust spot in the rocker panel is the only spot.

I do have the money to fix her. But my only real concern is that she runs hot after being started. Now... I dont know if it's the radiator or the fan or the head gasket. And I dont want to replace everything if it's the head gasket, and then I'm out of money.

As of right now, she needs a battery, alternator, radiator/fan(idk which one), brake rotors and brake pads. The push-button 4x4 doesn't work, wouldn't mind getting that fixed either.

But ultimately, if I did fix her, I'd want to maybe jack it up a couple inches and get some bigger tires on her. But I wouldn't want to mess with the suspension. So 31x10.5x15 should work. Maybe these? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=8

My mechanical skills aren't very good, or atleast I dont think so. I changed an Idler Pulley myself with a help of a friend. That friend is very good mechanically, and his dad is a Ford mechanic. So he could help me.

Edit: Before I forget. The timing is off on it too. It idles way too low, and when it's at a stop sign/light you can't hear it idle. But then when you push on the gas it gets up and goes. So I don't think that's a big issue. And the Check Engine light is on.

Wow, I can't believe I forgot this. My friend(mentioned above) has 1gen Ford Explorer that he's going to take the engine out of to put in his 84 Ford Ranger. I can probably take parts off it (Ford Emblem, Limited Edition Leather Seats, Radiator/Fan, etc etc.) What do you guys think?

I'm surprised it looks that good,as far as the overheating there is a test that will tell you if the head gasket is gone,any reputable shop will have the kit.They take a tube with test fluid and run the engine with the radiator cap off,the fluid changes color if combustion gases are present,cheap and fast.Also do a pressure check.If there is any doubt after it passes the test about the radiator,just replace it and the thermostat and cap.I have fooled around enough in the past that I replace with new only.:D

Back