• Register Today It's free!

Should I Mod?

BJH1999

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer XLT 4L V6
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and relatively new to explorers, as I just bought an '05 XLT this past summer. I've been looking around online seeing how they look with some mods like a slight lift and bigger tires, and i was thinking that I would like to maybe do that and try off roading also. I've talked to a lot of my friends to see what they thought, and all but a couple said it would be really cool, while the 2 said it would be a waste of money and that the explorer is a "minivan". so my question is, is it worth the money to do some mods? i already got mine for a steal- '05 with 104k miles in great condition for 2,000 dollars. i would like to do the mods, but is it worth it? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its always worth it, who cares what other people think, if you love your truck and enjoy the labor put into it then go for it!! Would love to see pictures of what you do!

There is no return investment on modifying your Explorer. If you want to personalize, its your truck do what you want. Make sure you are going to keep it long enough that the expense is worth it to you.

Here is what you have to consider when trying to decide if you want to mod it. Who is paying for it? There are pretty good looking lifted Explorers/Mountaineers on here, so make it like how you want it. Also, ditch your 2 friends that say the Explorer is like a mini-van, you don't need that negativity in your life. (totally kidding)

Here is what you have to consider when trying to decide if you want to mod it. Who is paying for it? There are pretty good looking lifted Explorers/Mountaineers on here, so make it like how you want it. Also, ditch your 2 friends that say the Explorer is like a mini-van, you don't need that negativity in your life. (totally kidding)
haha yes that's what I was thinking, and I already have some inside sources to get wheels and tires, etc. for pretty cheap, so i know that it won't be like thousands and thousands of dollars. plus, my "minivan" would beat my buddie's stock 06 f150 any day of the week, on or off road.( it already has :D) thanks for the advice!

Its always worth it, who cares what other people think, if you love your truck and enjoy the labor put into it then go for it!! Would love to see pictures of what you do!
Yeah for sure! I'll probably start a progress thread when i get it going once spring/summer rolls around.

If you do start a build thread, put as much detail in as possible. Lots of pictures, problems encountered and how you solved them, what you purchased or built, and ask a bunch of questions. There is a ton of very skilled people on this board. Post a link of your build thread to this thread if you decide to modify.

One major problem is that your generation Explorer is not going to off-road well without a major amount of modification. In my opinion, the Explorer has been going downhill in off-road worthiness since the first generation models. The later gens are more comfortable, faster, fuel efficient, and safer, but they gave up being a truck with a SUV body.

If you do start a build thread, put as much detail in as possible. Lots of pictures, problems encountered and how you solved them, what you purchased or built, and ask a bunch of questions. There is a ton of very skilled people on this board. Post a link of your build thread to this thread if you decide to modify.

One major problem is that your generation Explorer is not going to off-road well without a major amount of modification. In my opinion, the Explorer has been going downhill in off-road worthiness since the first generation models. The later gens are more comfortable, faster, fuel efficient, and safer, but they gave up being a truck with a SUV body.
yeah I will make a progress thread for sure, but I probably wont do any major mods like axle swaps or stuff like that, as I just want to try some light off-roading, really more just trails.

Axle swaps on these things are a major mod. Because these things are independent suspension, the design runs the rear axle shaft through the frame rail. Putting in a live axle would require you to do at least a 4-6" lift if I am correct. Then there is the front, and that's a whole nother beast. I would go with strut spacers or lift struts and a set of 265/75 tires. I put a Gibson catback on mine, but flowmaster and magnaflow are other options. You can also get into lighting since a lot of that is universal, and there are some companies that make brush/grill guards. Whatever you wanna do just ask around, I am sure someone has done it.

Back