Should I rebuild the timing??? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Should I rebuild the timing???

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
I’m not sure what to do with my Explorer because of the timing chain rattle at startup. It’s an 07 4.0 advance trac, I just passed 160,000 miles and the start up rattle is progressively getting worse. It takes longer to go away especially on a cold day. The rest of the engine seems to be in good shape, it still runs strong and smooth and it doesn’t leak a thing. Also the transmission only has about 37,000 miles on it so tgg he st makes the vehicle worth keeping especially considering the current automobile market. So I’m considering pulling the engine and replacing the timing components. But at the end of the day that engine still has a lot of miles on it even though the weak link will have been fixed. There’s a complete timing set front and rear made by melling on Rockauto.com going for $618. Plus new water pump, oil pump, gaskets, fluids, needed tools etc… I’m guessing I’ll be spending around $1300-$1500 to rebuild my own timing. I could prob recoup some of that cost be selling the engine hoist after I’m done with it or just renting one at the start.

On the other hand I can order an engine from Fraserengineco.com and have it delivered to my house as well as take my old engine away for around $2500. About the only thing I’d need that I don’t have would be the engine hoist. Still gonna need a water pump plus fluids. So prob around $3000-$3100 for a reman engine and needed tools.

I’ve never pulled or installed an engine before but I’m not afraid too and there’s plenty of help on YouTube. I would just like to hear some different opinion on what you would do if it was your vehicle.

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
You can usually rent engine hoists from local rental companies. 160k isn't too bad at all. They can last to 250k+ when maintained well. If it were mine I would have the cylinder heads rebuilt at the same time. New seals, and a valve job.

A rebuilt engine isn't a bad way to go as long as the rebuilder is reputable.

<

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
With the current state if of pricing on new/used vehicles, I'd rebuild. Maybe try to make some local connections that might be able to help or at least offer guidance on the pull/rebuild/reinstall.

Either way you go, diy or buy a reman'd engine, it's better than a car payment for years, IMHO. (I really hate car payments but I know we can't avoid them sometimes.)

<

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
Thanks for your input @Rick and @D Hook that’s what I needed to hear. I’m hoping to do this sometime in the spring when it warms up as long as the engine lasts. I’m hoping to accomplish this over a couple of weekends. I have a lift kit and new suspension waiting in my garage as well so maybe I can tackle it all and just be done with it finally :afro:

<