Reaction score
City, State
Chino Valley, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL
front rotors are down to
Left: .93"
Right: .92"

also what is the spec for the front rotors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is from the Ford service manual.

Minimum Rotor Thickness 4x2 (Discard Thickness) 24.5 mm (0.96) (in)

Minimum Rotor Thickness 4x4 (Discard Thickness) 24.5 mm (0.96) (in)

Hope this helps.
Bob

how do you measure the thickness

Use a micrometer or caliper to measure thickness. Take various measurements in different areas. I've seen some rotors that were replacements that had different thickness in various areas that were more than .1 in some areas.

Are you serious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper

180px-Messschieber.jpg
180px-DigitalCaliperEuro.jpg
180px-Dial_calipers.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Caliper (disambiguation).
A vernier caliper

A caliper (British spelling also calliper) is a device used to measure the distance between two symmetrically opposing sides. A caliper can be as simple as a compass with inward or outward-facing points. The tips of the caliper are adjusted to fit across the points to be measured, the caliper is then removed and the distance read by measuring between the tips with a measuring tool, such as a ruler.

They are used in many fields such as metalworking, mechanical engineering, gunsmithing, handloading, woodworking and woodturning.

Use a micrometer or caliper to measure thickness. Take various measurements in different areas. I've seen some rotors that were replacements that had different thickness in various areas that were more than .1 in some areas.

Ya a micrometer would probably be better on a rotator because of the ridge you would have on a used one.

250px-Micrometers.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the measuring device. For the unit of length, see micrometre.
Outside, inside, and depth micrometers

A micrometer (pronounced /mаɪˈkrɒmɪtər/) (enPR: mī-krŏmʹĭ-tər), sometimes known as a micrometer screw gauge, is a device used widely in mechanical engineering and machining for precisely measuring, along with other metrological instruments such as dial calipers and vernier calipers. Micrometers are often, but not always, in the form of calipers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer

Thanks everybody for the advise on how to measure them! I would be lost without you :D but I guess if the minimum thickness is .96" then I will go ahead and replace them today if I can figure it out. I think I found a thread on it around here somewhere.

Rotor replacement is one of the easiest fixes you'll ever do on this truck. No fears. Just make sure the store gives you the correct rotors for the front. Dumbass store I went to gave me the rears...open the box before leaving the store.

I also the threads of one of the studs got stripped...it was an easy replacement, but a PITA going back and forth to the store.

Rotor replacement is one of the easiest fixes you'll ever do on this truck. No fears. Just make sure the store gives you the correct rotors for the front. Dumbass store I went to gave me the rears...open the box before leaving the store.

I also the threads of one of the studs got stripped...it was an easy replacement, but a PITA going back and forth to the store.

That depends, what year did the Explorer 4x4 switch to the 2 piece hub and rotor? My first Explorer was a 92 with the one piece rotor & hub and that was a pain in the dupa take apart.

Bob

yea, i was. thanks for the good posts, a55hole

I wasn't trying to bust your chops, :D I was just surprised at the question from someone with over 5K posts.

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don"t understand." -- Homer Simpson

yep it was pretty easy...once I went and bought a breaker bar! only took a couple of minutes after that. I also changed my serpentine belt and air filter today. So a pretty good day and I saved about $250 vs. the mechanic.

I wasn't trying to bust your chops, :D I was just surprised at the question from someone with over 5K posts.

i have worked on a lot of things but brakes arent one of them.. and im having brake issues, so i asked.

yep it was pretty easy...once I went and bought a breaker bar! only took a couple of minutes after that. I also changed my serpentine belt and air filter today. So a pretty good day and I saved about $250 vs. the mechanic.

Well its ez cause you live in AZ. Try it in the salt belt, the rotor was practically welded on and needed 2 hours of pounding to break free.

Well its ez cause you live in AZ. Try it in the salt belt, the rotor was practically welded on and needed 2 hours of pounding to break free.

Yep. Same thing here in Chicago, just did my brothers truck, fronts were no problem but the rears took about 2 hours with the torch and sledge hammer.
Ya just got to love all that fricking salt.

i have worked on a lot of things but brakes arent one of them.. and im having brake issues, so i asked.

Which is EXACTLY what you should do on something as critical as brakes. There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to you and your family's safety.

And quite honestly, those micrometers and calipers shown here aren't the best tools for measuring a used rotor anyway. I have a micrometer that has pointed ends so I can measure in the grooves if necessary. Those shown here only work after you have machined the rotor and you have a smooth surface to measure...unless the rotor is totally worn down...which is highly unlikely. It's usually grooves that are too deep to remove without cutting the rotor too thin.

You just keep asking...we'll try and answer the best we can.

You gotta love it here! :D

That's why our used car prices are so high here. You guys keep coming down and buying the good cars!!

Avoid Cheap rotors

Also, if you have to replace your front rotors avoid China white box store brands like wearever or duralast.

My choices now are only motorcraft or Brembo Brand from Tire Rack (good price and quick ship).

They don't cost that much more, and they are more resistant to warping. The cheap rotor had much more "dead space" between the plates than the Brembo premium replacement. They are both the same overall thickness, but the discs aren't. You sure get what you pay for!

I don't think it matters for the rears though....I guess you can cheap out there.

Back