• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Should I replace O2 sensors in pairs?

EdmondsXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonds, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 AWD
I just picked up an 03 Explorer XLT V6 that was showing a P2198 code - O2 sensorf stuck rich, Bank 2 sensor 1 - so driver's side upstream sensor. I picked up a new one and swapped it in and the code has gone away. My question is, should I replace the one on the other side as well? Or even the remaining 3? Or just leave them as is until I get another code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

J_C

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
It's not a safety issue so you can wait, but yeah soon enough you'll probably need the passenger's upstream at least.

Fordfan03

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
if it ain't broke don't fix it

EdmondsXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonds, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 AWD
Update after a month and a half, no new O2 sensor codes showing up

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
No need to change 'em in pairs, IMHO.

mountaineer2004

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (V8)
IMHO, if you're fixing it yourself, one at a time is good.
If using a mechanic, and paying diagnostic fee, replace in pairs.

J_C

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
^ I might do the opposite. Since a mechanic is so expensive for something I could do myself, typically including a part price markup too, at a mechanic's shop I'd only get the one done
If it was DIY instead, while I have it jacked up, under there, with a loaner O2 wrench, I'd pay the ~$30 to get a 2nd sensor and put it on at the same time... might be different if it were a more expensive part.