• Register Today It's free!

Should I risk a trans flush?

turboranger91

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
The previous owner of my truck kept meticulous service records, and man, was he on top of things! I was going through them all last night, trying to see when the last trans flush had been done. Unfortunately, I only found one receipt for it... At 85k. With as on the ball he was about making sure this thing was taken care of, I have a hard time believing that he only had it done once... But maybe he did. I've got about 240k on it now, so I'm a little hesitant to get it done. What say you? Yes or no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with that many miles it is what it is. do a pan drop.

Does he have any records of fluid changes. You should never have your transmission flushed by a shop. The only "flush" is to disconnect your cooling line and let it run out as you pour in new fluid.

Does he have any records of fluid changes. You should never have your transmission flushed by a shop. The only "flush" is to disconnect your cooling line and let it run out as you pour in new fluid.

x2 on this.

How does the fluid look now? Pink or grey with particles? First thing I'd do is stick an in-line filter on it. Magnefine 3/8" is a cheap and effective filter. Run it that way a few hundred miles and see how the fluid looks then. If all is well, exchange some, a quart or two. Running it with a small amount of new fluid will get the detergents working to clean up any sludge/varnish/crud in the trans but not a intense cleaning. Run it a few hundred miles. If all is well, do the exchange via the cooler lines.

x2 on this.

How does the fluid look now? Pink or grey with particles? First thing I'd do is stick an in-line filter on it. Magnefine 3/8" is a cheap and effective filter. Run it that way a few hundred miles and see how the fluid looks then. If all is well, exchange some, a quart or two. Running it with a small amount of new fluid will get the detergents working to clean up any sludge/varnish/crud in the trans but not a intense cleaning. Run it a few hundred miles. If all is well, do the exchange via the cooler lines.
on the stick, it looks a little pinkish Grey. Don't see any particles. Thanks for the advice. Definitely makes sense to take it slow with an exchange.

If it's got a bit of pink and it's not gritty, you should be good to go. For what it's worth, my 1994 has trans issues, won't shift out of first but forward and reverse gears are strong and engage firm. Trans fluid has absolutely no pink to it and had a decent amount of grit feel on the dipstick. I've only stuck a Magnefine on it and exchanged about 2 quarts of ATF. That cleaned it up quite a bit and the trans still grabs great. I use it around the property to drag trailerloads of manure and water on hilly terrain. Doesn't slip in the slightest, even giving it the throttle pretty good. 190,000 miles on it, no maintenance history. Sounds like yours is in a lot better shape. Take it slow and you won't shock the system and it should do you good.

I have a Magnefine filter (new - never used) with about 18" of hose with hose clamps if anyone is interested. I intended to put it on but never got around to it. PM if interested.

No. No no no. Save your pennies and just buy a transmission. Or, like another poster said, try a pan service. I've seen so many autos sh*t the bed after that.

See post #6 and #12 in the following thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121047&highlight=flush

This is not a "flush" but a better term would be "exchange". You are not subjecting the transmission to unusual pressures.

Those flush machines at the lube stores pump it in at higher pressure, and that's bad for old seals. The fluid exchange, as detailed in the above link by aldive (rest in peace, buddy) and Glacier, uses the tranny's own pumping and vacuum to pull old fluid out, while you pour an equal amount of new fluid in thru the filler neck. It flat-out works, I've done it 3 or 4 times on my 180,000 mile A4LD.

Also get a new SPX Microfelt filter from bulkpart.com, it's not a simple screen like most A4LD filters are.

I found 7 seconds of engine running = 1 quart pumped out.

Back