• Register Today It's free!

should I start playing taps?

Fordmandan87

Reaction score
City, State
Royston, G.A.
Year, Model & Trim Level
in process of purchase
my 94 explorer is testing my will to fix her. I have been driving this ex for one month when the rebuilt tranny blows up and the warranty will not cover what is damaged. this comes after spending 1800 dollars for a lifetime warrenty. NEVER GO TO AAMCO THEYSUCK DO i JUNK IT WHILE SCRAP IS HIGH AND BUY A 00 CHEROKEE W/ A LIFT FOR 2500 AT MY WORK? i NEED ADVICE BADLY THANK YOU ALL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, you should move to a vehicle with a manual transmission :).

darn thats stinks ...i too had mine done at aamco about 3 months ago.paid a little less than you but all in all it seems to be running and shifting fine ,replaced center supports,new converter,replaced the shift solinoids and a new modulator.basiclly mine was shot all the way around but they did a good job ...only complaint i had with them was after i got it back 3 bolts had fallen out of the pan ! promptlly took it back to them and they replaced all of them and put thread locker on them ...no more problems so far.

maybe on yours it was in worse shape than mine and even tho they rebuilt it ...it was not able to be saved so to speak ?!

what is makeing them say they will not fix it after you bought a lifetime warranty ??? it was a total rebuild right ?

you know that everdrive.com has used units for $800 i think and comes witha 3 year or unlimited milage warranty...may want to entertain that idea if ammco is a no go .

could the 31's be a problem for it going out so soon ? a4ld's are weak by nature .

or it could just be that the ammco that did it sucks and maybe go to another one and tell them what happend to you and maybe have a another ammco mechanic fix it properly

You could possibly do a 700r4 conversion on it...or swap in an M5OD

Swap in a manual its really straightforward and more durable. I'm still very pleased with mine.

I'd continue to argue with AAMCO. Go up the food chain... mgr, area rep, BBB, atty general, ..etc. I'd make them put in writing exactly what is wrong, and why it's not covered. Tell them you are also going to take it somewhere else for an alternative opinion to see if the problem should be covered as part of the 'lifetime' warranty. Maybe they will fix it for parts only cost, and eat the labor.

Here is my plan if it comes to it.

A tranny shop down in Auburn Wa. told me they could get a Ford factory rebuilt tranny with all the mods and upgrades for around $2,000 to $2,200. It would come with a warrenty but forget the time line on it. So that's what my plan is if I need a tranny.

Back