Should my front driveshaft spin freely in a 96 4wd 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should my front driveshaft spin freely in a 96 4wd 4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Valley springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
Hi so I recently noticed my front driveshaft spins freely when in park and with the car off. I get under the car and just twist the driveshaft and it rotates 360, no problem. However just a few weeks ago, and for at least a few months, when I was under the truck it wouldn’t rotate at all, it would but not even a 180 turn before it would lock up. What’s wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it spin free with it running? The 95s (and maybe 96s?) had a vacuum disconnect on the front axle, but I don’t think it allowed the driveshaft to freewheel.

I’ll check. What if it gets stuck or continues to spin freely? Is it a bad thing that I can spin it freely in park and off?

I assume it’s not a good thing.

The vacuum disconnect disengages the passenger axle shaft in 2WD. As the front is an open differential the driveshaft will spin freely without both wheels being connected and since the transfer case is not in 4wd there is no resistance there. In a 97-up the vacuum disconnect was removed so even in 2wd the front driveshaft will not spin freely.

Park and drive have no affect on the front driveshaft in 95-96's. When the transfercase is put in 4HI or 4LO it engages the vacuum disconnect and the driveshaft is then connected to the wheels and the transmission.

Now your vacuum disconnect may be malfunctioning and not unlocking the passenger axle shaft which may be why you weren't able to turn it before.

Back