Show Me your after market guages and where you installed them. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show Me your after market guages and where you installed them.

SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
I'm starting to be quite reluctant to belive my stock guages in my 1st gen.

When I lost the oil pump on a wheeling trip mid last year the oil pressure guage was acting squrrely, and my voltage guage reads a lot higher than I feel comfortable with.

Plus with off roading and the accents and angle we dangle att, and little or no baffels in the oil pan, this makes me a little more concerned about actual readings.

So I figured I would look into a set of after market guages to mount in my rig.

One place I thought about would be in the flat area above the passenger dash tray, where the "spotter" can also keep a good eye on everything as well as myself.

Or if there is a pillar pod mount for the X's, but this can hamper visability, as do the big dumbo mirros we have, hence removable doors (this is coming soon).

Or what other places/ideas do you have and if you have any pictures I would love to see them.

Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need any detailed pics of action shots i can go get some if you would like,
12558gauges.jpg

A nice triple of small autometers: volts, oil, water would work well below the center dash. They make these triples smaller than the usual 2 1/16".

Also vacuum may be useful, as well as fuel pressure (not a/f). But of course you're a car guy, so I'm preaching to the choir ;)

Originally posted by Alec
Also vacuum may be useful, as well as fuel pressure (not a/f). But of course you're a car guy, so I'm preaching to the choir ;)

Yeah I'm going to try and trade my A/F guage from my GT for one or more of the oil/temp/vac guages I need.

the 2" guages are nice but the 2 1/16 is a little easy to read bouncing around.

Under the dash was a consideration, but would rather have them in plain site as the stick for the transmission would leave blind spots and take my eyes off the horizon too much.

But keep posting, and nows the time to show off you guage installs folks!

Sweet install Boom'n ;)

These pictures look great but I thought there would be a little more participation on this.

You clowns you know you wanna show off, so come on now, I need some ideas here to get this old lathargic brain going.

Thanx. :D

Originally posted by SVO
...You clowns you know you wanna show off, so come on now...

Ok, Ok, you got me. Here, but it's not really original:

4434explorer_gauge_pod_01.jpg

I had the dual guage pillar on the A pod and it was really nice having the guages right there and they did not interfere with my ablity to see the road.

I removed the ashtray and the trio fit nicely.
Joe

Attachments

• picture 008.jpg
    picture 008.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 235

Jeff I like the trio in the ashtray, or you could put your fab skills to use and make something that would hold the guages on the little shelf space that is in front of the passenger seat. Angle the guages slightly and you would be able to see them from the drivers seat.

V8boatbuilder, that's super nice, but still a little to low for my eyes to keep track of what's going on, on the trail, now for the street that would be cool, reminds me of the Murader ;);).

Doc, that's a clean install, your dye joc matches great! ;)

Nice inspection and registration too lol.

Joe, that's a whole lot better than Alec's idea of putting them below the ash tray.
Plus with the 5spd and remote throttle lever my ash tray is useless, I can't even use my phone charger. :(

So like Michael said that works great.

Michael, insted of mounting an upsidedown guage bracket (like Joe's) on top of the shelf I was thinking on using a hole saw on the vertical portion right behind it.
And somewhere I have seen guage mounting brackets that are slightly angled one way or the other.

See my method to my madness is so not only I could see them (when wheeling solo, or around town) but my spotter can keep tabs on the operation of everything too, so I can keep my eyes on the trail (sunday cruise, lol).

Thank you everyone for putting up pics of the guages in your X's, they all look great and have given me some things to go on, now to get in the shop and "getherdone".

And you know me, I'll get you all some pictures. :cool:

hey what autometer part# are you guys using for your dual or triple pillar pods?

I love my triple on the stang and I'd like to get Trans temp, Volts, and a real oil pressure....

15573dsc00132.jpg

These are the lunar series gauges. I'm going to be selling all of them and replacing them for C/F ones. If you interested let me know. There is a pic of them illuminated in my gallery.

ipozestu: what model number is that autometer pod?

:eek: Oooooo!

ipozestu: Show me some close ups of the A/F guage set-up on the steering column, PLEASE! :D

And which pod did you use for that?

105-15308 this is the part number at Jeg's for ther pillar
105-15303 this is the part number for the colum pod.

Dakota Digital Amp Temperature and Voltage Gauge.
Resize%20of%20Re-exposure%20of%20Rotation%20of%20Picture%20011.jpg

Back