• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Show off your home made tools!

Everybody has encountered a situation where they needed a certain kind of tool which wasn't available (or too expensive). This is when you have to improvise, and get creative. I had this happen a few times. To start off this thread, I was replacing my front suspension components (shocks, springs, upper control arm bushings, ball joints, etc), and encountered a situation where I needed a way to compress the lower control arm, and support it. Here are some pictures to further explain what I did:
Anchor_bolt_harware_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_with_hardware_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_holding_lower_control_arm_without_coil_spring_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_in_coil_spring_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_installed_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_in_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_installed_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_out_.JPG

Another_top_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.JPG

Bottom_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.JPG

Spring_compressor_before_assembly_.JPG

Spring_compressor_parts_break_out_view_.JPG

Spring_compressor_side_view_.JPG

Spring_compressor_straight_view_.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Everyone who is lifted knows that it sucks to get the tranny or tcase off easy. So we took out motorcycle jack and made a simple mod for it.
Tranny-Stand-with-tranny.jpg

Tranny-Stand-with-tranny-2.jpg

Works well. It safty pins to the jack with the pins that came with the jack to hold the top skids on. So you will only be out the square tube if you have the jack.
Modification to the stand. Forgot to add that we cut a bit of one middle support to allow you to tilt the tranny up or down. I still have to add some more square tube down and across to cover the missing spot.
Tranny-Cradle.jpg

We also made a fan clutch removal tool.....This is not it but it looks the same. This one is for one of our big mowers.
Fan-clutch-tool4.jpg

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Ill get a pic of the tranny cradle with out anything on it. UPDATE IN POST 3

The wrench is about 14+ inches long. Not sure on any more numbers at the current time. I forgot...lol

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
A few of mine:
Top - axle yoke remover that fits 1310, 1350 and 1410 yokes. Holds the yoke in place while a socket fits inside it to loosen the nut
2nd - Seal driver for replacing the lower power steering seal on a first gen Explorer without removing the box from the frame
3rd - Plane of Bend bracket. Positions a level or degree finder on a piece of tube whil it is in the bender so I know how much the tube is rotated between bends
last - tools for rebuilding a saginaw power steering box. 1 is a spanner wrench for removing the input and the next is a splined connector with a 1/4" drive for using my 1/4" in-lb torque wrench for checking preload (which is adjusted by the bolt on the top cap)

I have also made more stuff like dies for my press, positioning clamps and various pullers

Attachments

• axle yoke remover.jpg
    axle yoke remover.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 15,757
  • Explorer seal driver.jpg
    Explorer seal driver.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15,746
  • POB bracket.jpg
    POB bracket.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15,741
  • steering box rebuild tools.jpg
    steering box rebuild tools.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 15,886

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
When I rebuilt my M5OD, I had to make a bearing puller.

I couldn't find a single puller that had 12" of reach & pulling length. So I made this:

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
weve made countless dies for the press brake, usually to bend round bar, or to put a radius bend in a piece of sheetmetal.

Recently we made a jig that formed pieces of 7/8 cr soild bar into meat hooks for a local processor.

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
A home made A/C Schraeder Adapter valve adjustment tool.

When converting from R12 to R134a there is an adapter that screws on to the R12 port that will accept the R134a fittings. Invariably the depressor extension inside the adapter inside is not set right and keeps the Schraeder valve depressed enough to cause a small but persistent leak. A normal Schraeder valve adjustment tool does not fit in these adapters, hence the new tool Dremeled from a drill bit.

After adapter installation, the tool is used to back out the depressor extension in the adapter until it clears the Schraeder valve.

Attachments

• SV1.JPG
    SV1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 15,430

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
Seal removing tool, made from flat steel and a Toyota radius arm

DSC01715.JPG

Spare Tire winch adapter, to operate the drop/raise winch with a 1/2" impact

DSC01716.JPG

Misc, broken 1/2" extensions, rear diff carrier pins, and what-nots used for drifts or drivers

DSC017171.JPG

Cast pipe pieces used for a cooling system flush kit, screw and unscrew the pieces to fit whatever your working on for different radiator hose size

DSC01718.JPG

Pipe fitting on the right is for installing rear main seals, the 2" pipe on the right is for installing pinion bearings in a 20ton press (Right Kris??)

DSC01719.JPG

2.0 and 2.3 Ford 4 cylinder, lifter removal/install tool, made from flat steel

DSC01720.JPG

Misc wrenches cut-up, ground on, and bent (MODIFIED) for reaching hard to get at spots, power steering lines, header bolts, and whatever I couldn't get at, at that time

DSC01721.JPG

DSC01722.JPG

DSC01723.JPG

In the background behind the Lexus ES300 you'll see an "I" shaped wooden fixture, this is used to hold the engine in place while you remove the K-member out of a vehicle to service it, being header install, rack & pinion seal repair, ETC

DSC01728.JPG

I have more but we'd be here all day :rolleyes:

Jeff - :navajo:

ShadowdogKGB

Reaction score
City, State
Tioga County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
Clutch Spring Compressor Tool

Basically this shows how to make your own Clutch Spring Compressor. I used 1/8" plate steel for this. You can find it at most welding shops or trailer dealer/repair shops. The rubber hose goes over the all-thread to protect from nicks and scratches.

DSCN0171-1.jpg

Below: The small bottom "H" piece was my first attempt so I used it as a base since it was too small. The base doesn't have to be an "H".

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

Below: Pretty basic stuff really. I used a hacksaw at first but got smart and bought some good metal blades for my Bosch jigsaw. It cuts it like butter.

DSCN0170.jpg

Below: Just a "T" shape with a hole in it. I should mention that the overall length is 6" total.

DSCN0168.jpg

Below: Put it in a vise and bend it like shown. It's all eye-balling. This stuff bends ok by hand but some heat from a propane torch and a little beating with a hammer will help.

DSCN0167.jpg

ShadowdogKGB

Reaction score
City, State
Tioga County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo
Fan Pulley Wrench

Advanced Auto Parts sells one for for like 22 bucks or something, which is absurd. Some places have them for as high as 50 bucks!

This is the same thing but without the black paint and the "Made in China" thing. (I'm just guessing they're made in China cuz I bent the hell out of the loaner I used from Advanced Auto).

I used 1/8" plate steel again. It works fine for me but if you have a fan that's stuck real good you could make it out of 1/4" plate steel. I use a regular Crescent Wrench for the Fan Nut. It's a tight fit but it works.

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

billz260

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Most of mine seem silly compared to these! I'd like to see more :)

I'll see if any of mine will be a contribution.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

billz260

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Absolutely nothing lik those above! Mostly adapters to use funny cominations to drive sockets w/ something other than a wratchet, and other little stuff like that.

I also make lots of small parts out of .062 to .125 plate that i have laying around, like brackets and block off plates, retainers and what not.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I'm always having to get creative, most recently, I used a stock 5.0 Throttle body and a block of wood and a hammer to put the front seal in my motor.

I also made a key for closing the moonroof on my truck because the motor is bad.

My buddy used a garage door opener cable and my pulley puller to get a steering wheel off once too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Advanced Auto Parts sells one for for like 22 bucks or something, which is absurd. Some places have them for as high as 50 bucks!

This is the same thing but without the black paint and the "Made in China" thing. (I'm just guessing they're made in China cuz I bent the hell out of the loaner I used from Advanced Auto).

I used 1/8" plate steel again. It works fine for me but if you have a fan that's stuck real good you could make it out of 1/4" plate steel. I use a regular Crescent Wrench for the Fan Nut. It's a tight fit but it works.

Thanks I have to swap out my fan clutch in the next few weeks and I will be making one of these.