Show off your home made tools! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Show off your home made tools!

Everybody has encountered a situation where they needed a certain kind of tool which wasn't available (or too expensive). This is when you have to improvise, and get creative. I had this happen a few times. To start off this thread, I was replacing my front suspension components (shocks, springs, upper control arm bushings, ball joints, etc), and encountered a situation where I needed a way to compress the lower control arm, and support it. Here are some pictures to further explain what I did:
Anchor_bolt_harware_.jpg

Anchor_bolt_with_hardware_.jpg

olt_holding_lower_control_arm_without_coil_spring_.jpg

Anchor_bolt_in_coil_spring_.jpg

nstalled_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_in_.jpg

stalled_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_out_.jpg

Another_top_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.jpg

Bottom_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.jpg

Spring_compressor_before_assembly_.jpg

Spring_compressor_parts_break_out_view_.jpg

Spring_compressor_side_view_.jpg

Spring_compressor_straight_view_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
what is the benefit of that over say a 2 liter bottle or a 5 gallon bucket?

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
It has a low profile, is easy to store, is capable of selecting which bottle or bottles get filled. An ordinary drain pan catches fluid, then you have to pour everything into separate containers. This does all of the work for you in one step.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Here is what a friend of mine built for doing our concrete carport pad (I helped, but it was his idea)

Its a power screed (sp?).. It works so much better than screeding by hand. Here a few pics of it (you can see how flat it gets the concrete). It not only flattens, but it packs the concrete and removes all the air/water pockets.

Basically, its a 3 horse motor that turns an unbalanced shaft to make the entire thing vibrate (including the wood you clamp the vibrator to).

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 24,745
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 19,624
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 19,660

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Can you post more close ups of the power screed you made. I have about 800 sq ft to pour around my house and that will make it a lot nicer.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Can you post more close ups of the power screed you made. I have about 800 sq ft to pour around my house and that will make it a lot nicer.

I'll dig through the pics and see if we have any other angles as Yolanda took about 400 pics that day (digital camera makes it easy to do that).. Worst case I'll just take a few close ups when I'm over there this weekend.

BTW.. he mentioned he was thinking of selling it.. He doesn't like doing concrete work (he will only do it for friends) so he doesn't expect to use it often. He can always build another one especially now that he knows where to buy all the parts (I got the motor + pillow blocks, he got the pullies, belts + keyed shaft)

~Mark

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Here is a drywall cart I made a few days ago. It is a furniture dolly 3 2x4's and a few angle bracket I had left over from something earlier. It works Okay with 5-6 sheets on it. Much more with the small wheels will make it get caught on things to easy.

Tracy and I had to move 19 sheets down 200 feet of hallways, then carry up a flight of stairs then move them another 100 feet down more hall ways.. Sure beat caring them the hole way

Attachments

• OAKRT 016.jpg
    OAKRT 016.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 19,122
  • OAKRT 015.jpg
    OAKRT 015.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 21,286

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Anyone got any pictures of their softer side? like sepcial wire harnesses used for trouble shooting things for different vechiles?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4

I cropped a pic and came up with this.. This pic is the best pic I have that shows how it was made... Bascially, its a motor that turns a counter balance.. Since the counter balance is out of balance it shakes..

BTW.. This is is now for sale.. he wants $550 for it and its in Southern Az.

~Mark

Attachments

• screed-closeup.jpg
    screed-closeup.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 25,490

A Wise Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited Dark Cherry
This is a drain pan for oil or transmission fluid with 4 different containers to catch the oil. Each one has a separate shut off valve.
4_bottle_drain_pan_with_4_separate_valves_.jpg

By looking at the pavement I think it might leak a little.;)

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
This is my part washing utility tub. It's a laundry sink which was converted for the purpose of cleaning machine parts. It has a cartridge circulator pump which is used for baseboard heating, and a water filter which is normally used under a kitchen sink. It's turned on in this first picture:
Converted_utility_tub_running_.jpg

Notice the screen door protector on the top which is an exact fit. I had to make a cut out for the faucet.
These are the attachments which go onto the faucet with a quick connector:
Attachments_for_the_converted_utility_tub_.jpg

This is the rear with a view of the pump, and the GFCI protector:
rted_utility_tub_with_a_cartridge_circulator_pump_.jpg

This is the front with a view of the water filter, and the drain valve:
utility_tub_with_a_drain_valve_and_a_water_filter_.jpg

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
I would have never thought of converting a laundry sink into a parts cleaner :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
I've made a batch of specialty stuff over the years -- from welding sockets together to make one that will pull off large bolts to pry bars from construction equipment rams, to jigs for drilling/sawing.

One that turned out really well is this transmission jack, made from an old Harbor Freight jack. Just cut and weld to extend the jack. Works very nicely. I uised scrap 2x2 steel for the legs and to extend the arm. It is about 18" longer than stock. It will drop flat on the floor and lift to 36".

If I were to do it over again, I'd make sure that the front legs were a tad longer and wider. It gets front heavy with a large transmission. The wood block you see under the transmission pan is an adaptor I made for the off-road pan on the A4LD. The hump in the pan fits into a hole sawed into the wood so I don't bend it. The jack handle has an old shovel D-handle welded onto half the regular jack handle so it is easier to use under a vehicle. Total cost was under $20.

15014Tranny_Jack_4.jpg

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
One thing which I forgot to mention previously was that another member on this site (I don't remember who) made a part washing machine out of an old dishwasher. He connected the discharge line to the intake line without using the electric valve (maybe he used the valve, but I don't remember exactly). There was no filter or a way to refill it or drain it from what I remember. I think he just refilled it manually by adding water, and chemical cleaners into the front, and disconnected the rubber hose loop between both sides to drain it.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Made this one Saturday, it is a stand to work on the D35 TTB. Made it out of some scrap metal I had and it bolts to my engine stand.

Attachments

• m_D35 diff stand (2).JPG
    m_D35 diff stand (2).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 20,810
  • m_D35 diff stand (1).JPG
    m_D35 diff stand (1).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 18,469

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
well since I had my spine welded together is a few spots, I can no longer flex to reach low enough to do the somple things like putting on socks-underwear jeans and the like. I also have a real hard time removing jeans from around my heels.
This is a home made tool I use daily-

My sock and pants putter onner and pusher offer. It works pretty well.

So simple it's beautiful yes?

Attachments

• putter onner.jpg
    putter onner.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 18,376