• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Show off your home made tools!

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
Rotisserie project:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I like the explorer torsion bar for the rotator handle. (I use the ones I have as fire pokers when we have a bonfire, with the keys on them they are just the thing for hooking logs and moving them around)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Just finished up my homemade press brake a few days ago. I love having a milling machine :D. Bend width is 10" and it will do 1/4". I made it to fit my ironworker as well since my press is only 12 ton and from the charts I have seen it will take more than that to bend a 10" wide piece of 1/4" steel.

I have only done 2 test bends so far, they turned out good and didnt take hardly any effort to bend a 2" wide piece of 1/4".

Attachments

• m_DSC07501.JPG
    m_DSC07501.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 12,926
  • m_DSC07508.JPG
    m_DSC07508.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 12,972
  • m_DSC07510.JPG
    m_DSC07510.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 12,864
  • m_DSC07511.JPG
    m_DSC07511.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 12,761

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
subscribing! Amazing stuff here! I just hit up the local harbor freight

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Blender converted into an oscillating spindle sander.

Blender_converted_into_an_oscillating_spindle_sander_.JPG

It has a variable speed control. I used a piece of tubing to cover the smooth shaft. The tubing provides a firm grip on the sanding sleeves. I used a fine grit sleeve on the bottom, medium grit in the middle, and a course grit on the top. One solid 3 inch long sanding sleeve would work too.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
4 inch PVC plug converted into a 3.0L rear main seal installation tool.

4_inch_PVC_plug_converted_into_a_3_0L_rear_main_seal_installation_tool_.jpg

The spacer was used as a template to drill the 2 holes with a drill press. The center square, and the deep threads were cut off with a band saw. The rough edges were sanded with the oscillating spindle sander in the post above this one.

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
Blender_converted_into_an_oscillating_spindle_sander_.JPG

It has a variable speed control. I used a piece of tubing to cover the smooth shaft. The tubing provides a firm grip on the sanding sleeves. I used a fine grit sleeve on the bottom, medium grit in the middle, and a course grit on the top. One solid 3 inch long sanding sleeve would work too.

How does it oscillate? Did the blender blade do that before or did you do some modification to it? I'm curious cause I too have an old blender lying around.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
The most decrepit tube-beader tool:
beadtool.jpg

bead.jpg

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
How does it oscillate? Did the blender blade do that before or did you do some modification to it? I'm curious cause I too have an old blender lying around.
It was actually an old food processor. This is the first time that I came across one with a long spindle that rotates. Most of these appliances have a shallow disc that connects to another part. The motor is pretty strong, and didn't slow down when I used it. It uses a cogged belt instead of a direct drive from the motor. The only thing that I had to add was a piece of tubing for the sanding disc to sit on.

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
It was actually an old food processor. This is the first time that I came across one with a long spindle that rotates. Most of these appliances have a shallow disc that connects to another part. The motor is pretty strong, and didn't slow down when I used it. It uses a cogged belt instead of a direct drive from the motor. The only thing that I had to add was a piece of tubing for the sanding disc to sit on.

ah. I guess my question should have been, does the shaft move up and down like this one does?
The up and down motion is what makes it an oscillating sander

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
fan clutch wrench set for explorers/rangers/f-series, Lincoln weld-pak with .35 flux core still does a good clean weld:

0_0.jpg

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
someone threw out a perfectly good worktop! A few bolts here couiple of holes there, weld weld and wa-la! A rolling worktable with space for the welders on the bottom
P1010086.jpg

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
and for when you just need to sit down on the job and still have your tools handy....
P1010024.jpg

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
Wow.. some pretty cool stuff here..

well, i'll play too. My engine hoist wouldn't work for getting the engine out of my boat a couple years ago, so i made this thing and hung a chain hoist from it

hoist1.jpg

3.jpg

here was my "strength test". lifting the front of my bronco off the ground a little.
broncohoisted.jpg

all in all, it's been a really, really handy tool to have around. I've used it for all sorts of things. makes pulling engines out of cars/trucks nice, too.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I needed a bench grinder, but I don't own one..

Soo, I used a c-clamp to hold my 4 1/2" HFT angle grinder to the frame of the trailer fender (still under construction)..

It worked very well.

diy_bench_grinder 002 by maniak_az, on Flickr

I also needed a way to bleed the clutch/brakes on the mustang. I don't own a mightyvac hand vacuum pump anymore.

I dug out my old r-12 venturi style vacuum pump and use that with a 1 1/2" rubber cape (with clamp) to vacuum bleed the master cylinder.

vacuum_clutch_bleeding 002 by maniak_az, on Flickr

It worked like a charm.. You can see it is pulling a vacuum. I was worried it would pull down far enough to start to suck up fluid (it never got that far down).

vacuum_clutch_bleeding 004 by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
The battery packs on my cordless tools see a lot of use. I had an idea on how to convert one dead battery into an adapter for my cordless tools. This will eliminate down time while another battery is on the charger. Here's a picture of the inside of the modified battery pack:
Modified_battery_pack_.JPG

I removed the small batteries, and replaced them with a 25 amp bridge rectifier from Radio Shack. It is permanently connected to an external AC power supply. This is what it looks like:
Cordless_that_is_now_corded_.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Mechanical charging base modification.

Automatic chargers don't last forever. The internal circuitry eventually burns out. The Craftsman charger that I have was discontinued many years ago. Sometimes they appear on EBay, but you have to get lucky to find a good one. Two of them were defective, but are useful for spare parts. This thread shows a modification on how to convert an automatic charger into a mechanical charger. It has one advantage over the automatic charger. The automatic charger requires that the battery still has a partial charge in order to recharge it. There is nothing electronic in the mechanical charger, so it's capable of taking a battery in any condition.

Note: I don't take any responsibility for battery or property damage. Do this mod at your own risk, and never supply more current than the battery is capable of accepting.

Here is the original charger:
The_power_supply_base_.JPG

The charger will require a mechanical timer:
The_60_minute_timer_with_the_circuit_board_.JPG

This timer has a maximum setting of 60 minutes which is similar to the original automatic charger. The two metal mounting tabs are easy to remove since they are connected with two screws. This is a bottom view of the modified circuit board:
The_circuit_board_.JPG

This photo shows how the timer connects to the case:
Timer_with_wiring_.JPG

The case is lower in the front which makes a perfect fit for the shape of the timer. The charger originally had three indicator LEDs in the front which were removed along with the other electronic components. The spacing on the case was the exact size for the spacing of the wires coming out of the timer. Here's a banana plug kit for the charger:
Banana_plug_set_.JPG

The banana plugs are unscrewed from the plastic insulator:
Break_out_view_of_the_banana_plugs_.JPG

Here's a close up view of the banana plug:
Close_up_view_of_the_banana_plug_.JPG

The original plug was cut off, and the banana plugs were soldered on:
The_old_new_power_plugs_.JPG

I have an old bench top power supply with banana jacks. A customer of mine had it sitting in his basement for many years, and thought that it was garbage. The switch was broken, but was easy to replace with a spare that I had on hand.
Desktop_power_supply_.JPG
Here's the whole thing with a battery charging:
The_base_is_connected_to_the_power_supply_.JPG