• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Show off your home made tools!

BobWiersema

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Burbs, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0L SOHC 4x4
This whole planking thing is getting out of control. :D

2668127890084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

guy-talented-planking-on-police-car.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
DSC00576.jpg

Problem
Not much of a home made tool but sure is a lot easier to use since I modified it.
This is no more then an adjustable wrench (china) that I welded an extension to the handle.
It has one goal in life and that is to tighten the jamb nuts on my front and rear linked suspension.
It was just one of those nagging little things that I always say I'm going to do.
It never evers stays adjusted where I want it. At that time I did not have the right size wrench to weld the extension to so enter one cheap adjustable. What happens it never stays adjusted for those same size jamb nuts. I mean just flip it over and it changes, lay it down and it changes. Then about 99.9% of the time when I turn the knurled knob i'll go the wrong way.

Problem solved

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

Ok, I feel better now.

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
Home made 1.25/32mm fan clutch tool I made for a BMW.

Homemadeclutchfantool.jpg

Had a clogged up oil pickup screen on a 88 Ranger 4x4 so I made this to blow it clean without removing the oil pan.

OliPassageFlushTool.gif

How I ever did without this to seat tire beads I don't know. Works just as good as a store bought version.

CheetahTank.jpg

Large and small trim removal tools
Trimremovaltools.gif

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
Hey, that oil filter tool is a great idea. I haven't ever heard of anyone doing that before but it's really a great idea...

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
That along with repeated diesel fuel flushes did the job. I drove it 50K+ miles after I got it to maintain oil pressure. BTW, it was clogged when I bought it.

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
:thumbsup:

I'm making a note of that one so I can pass it on.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

dlk

Reaction score
City, State
Aberdeen SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Most interesting thing I made was when I bunged up the threads on the end of my radius arm while doing a quick job of replacing radius bushings on my '94 X. Quick as in forcing the arm out of the mounting bracket without taking the axle apart. When I couldn't get the nut back on I found another nut, welded it into the jaws of a vice grip, then cut it in half. Made a tool I could clamp onto the radius arm and clean up the threads enough to get the nut back on. No pics because after I was done I cut the nut off the vice grips.

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
5R55E Servo Cover Tool

This a tool I made while doing a rebuild on my 5R55E transmission.

MATERIALS:

1" square tubing, about 6" long

M8-1.25x40mm bolts, 2 required

2" muffler clamp (package read 1.75", but bolt measures 2" I.D.)

TOOLS:

5/16" drill bit

3/8" drill bit

THE TOOL:
0002.jpg

THE PARTS:
0007msp.jpg

As you can see, the muffler clamp has been cut on one side, forming a "J" hook.

THE LAYOUT:
0014msp.jpg

The multiple holes allow this tool to be used for both the intermediate & overdrive servos.

USAGE:
3393.jpg

For the Intermediate Servo, use as shown. For the Overdrive Servo, move the "J" hook to the other hole, and one of the M8s must be moved also when you reposition the tool. It is very simple and self-explanatory.

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
5R55E Clutch Spring Compressor

This is not a fabrication, but merely an improvisation. I used three 6" QuikGrip clamps, and three 1/2" drive sockets. It is fast, effective, and gives unequaled access to the circlips.

3377.jpg

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
This is no more then an adjustable wrench (china) that I welded an extension to the handle.

That is a great way to repurpose a cheepo adjustable wrench. I hate when I have to use those. You touch them, they go out of adjustment. You put them down, they go out of adjustment. You use them, they go out of adjustment. You look at them, they go out of adjustment...

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
It looks like it might be possible to make a dual servo cover compressor. Use a longer square rod with two cut muffler clamps. You wouldn't have to remove the existing clamp to move it over to the next servo. I had an idea after looking at the three way spring compressor. You could easily modify a caulking gun to compress the clutch pack. The same idea would work on a brake caliper to compress the piston.

Tomas

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I needed to change the ball joints on my 92 explorer and had alot of trouble removing my spindles. Wanted a better grip with my slide hammer so I made this thing. :)

Worked like a charm!

0aKA1.jpg

Gmd6M.jpg

nB4Eq.jpg

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Just finished these fan clutch wrenches today. A few weeks ago I had to rent the set from Autozone to change the waterpump on a powerstroke. While I had them I took dimensions, drew them in CAD and then cut them out of 1/4" steel on my cnc plasma. (I know that is kind of cheating :D )

Attachments

• fan wrenches (Small).jpg
    fan wrenches (Small).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 4,415

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I dont know how to post pics (or I cant) But I recently used a cherry picker, some chain and a blow torch to bend exhaust pipe.

Some awesome shots on this page! Great ideas!

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
It came out great! You can't see any cuts or discoloration. Wouldn't it have been easier & cheaper to buy the set than cut it from a sheet of steel?

Thanks. Easier...yes. Cheaper...no. They are painted a hammered silver metallic but even then the bare steel didnt show any discoloration when it was cut.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
What kind of temperature does it take to cut the steel? I'm sure that it must be pretty hot to slice through it before it gets a chance to discolor.

I saw a video clip a few months ago about desktop fabrication. The machine made a two color wrench out of some soft of polymer. They claim that it was strong, and demonstrated it. It only took a few a few hours to replicate. The CAD program was capable of making it any scale up to the maximum capacity that the machine could build.