Show off your home made tools! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Show off your home made tools!

Everybody has encountered a situation where they needed a certain kind of tool which wasn't available (or too expensive). This is when you have to improvise, and get creative. I had this happen a few times. To start off this thread, I was replacing my front suspension components (shocks, springs, upper control arm bushings, ball joints, etc), and encountered a situation where I needed a way to compress the lower control arm, and support it. Here are some pictures to further explain what I did:
Anchor_bolt_harware_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_with_hardware_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_holding_lower_control_arm_without_coil_spring_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_in_coil_spring_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_installed_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_in_.JPG

Anchor_bolt_installed_inside_of_coil_spring_with_end_facing_out_.JPG

Another_top_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.JPG

Bottom_view_of_the_anchor_bolt_.JPG

Spring_compressor_before_assembly_.JPG

Spring_compressor_parts_break_out_view_.JPG

Spring_compressor_side_view_.JPG

Spring_compressor_straight_view_.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Tool tip: Modified test plug.

While unclogging a double tub kitchen sink with a Kinetic Water Ram, I had an idea for a way to block one side to keep the pressure in. An average 3" plastic test plug with a wing nut will only fit certain basket strainers but not all sizes. Some require a slightly larger size such as 3 1/2" which you won't find so easily if it even exists. Most of the time I have to use an ordinary plunger which isn't convenient if you're working alone. You need to have one hand on the plunger, and one on the water ram.

I took a 3" test plug, and placed a rubber vacuum cleaner belt over the rubber bushing on the test plug. It still fits easily into all basket strainers without any resistance. The advantage is that you don't have to tighten it so much, and it will fit all basket strainers with the vacuum cleaner belt on it.

A side use for the test plug is an easy way to hold a basket strainer during installation. It won't damage the bottom of the basket strainer like some tools which are designed for this purpose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
This is a converted food processor. It's now a spindle sander. The internal safety switch was bypassed, and the top spindle has a rubber hose over it. There are two 1" sanding spindles over the hose. One is course grit, and the other is medium grit.

I like it :D

trashtruck

Reaction score
City, State
capital district, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt 4x4
for helping me clean carb parts

Attachments

• GBnpr.jpg
    GBnpr.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 481
  • thU4PYHCVM.jpg
    thU4PYHCVM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 466

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Needed to build a few J hooks to keep the coil springs in the buckets. I made this press brake out of some scrap metal that I had laying around. The J hook is 1/4" thick and 1.1" wide - also made from some scrap metal that was cnc plasma drops.

J-hook press brake.jpg

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Not much but I needed a large wrench to tighten the jamb nuts on my links. Instead of buying one I cut my own on my plasma table. Uses a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. It is also handy with a ratchet that you can clock around brackets driveshafts links to get to the jamb nut.

28395855833_1f7fca1c5a_c.jpg
20160815_165636 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
CNC plasma table ;) Due to the taper the cut isn't quite true all the way thru. I had to use a die grinder on the back to open it up so the ratchet would fit in.