Show us your custom bumper photos!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show us your custom bumper photos!!

bumper is just another custom tube bumper. Lift has no effect on anything clearing. As you can see there is just a little crossbar at the bottom of the skidplate with tabs(can't see these) that the plate just bolts to. It is in front of the drag link and out of the way of all moving parts. Skidplate basically just protects the radiator and bottom of engine from flying rocks and stuff. You can get more protection on later model X's(I assume) by having the skidplate go all the way to the lower a-arm crossmember thingy(don't know what its called cuz I don't know jack about 95+ X's)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are mine...

I still have some work to do on the front bumer, I'm going to lay the frame rails back at an angle to gain a better ramp up front, but the rest is done except for making a grill screen. (The front of the truck was wrecked when I purchased it, so I just cut away all that wasn't needed.)

The rear bumper fits tight to the frame horns, and it is cut away behind to lighten it (It looks like a solid tube). It is strong enough to tow a 2 axle trailer with another Explorer on board. Guess I trust my welding... :D

15014Front_end_Exploder_3.jpg

15014Explorer_Flex_2.jpg

15014Exploder_Bumper_1.jpg

15014Exploder_Rear_bumper_2.jpg

Front TrailReady Ranger bumper 1/8" plate, 1/4" subframe with additional 3"s of surface area to accomodate the 3" BL. About 300lbs with the winch. This was of course before the addiction totally took control...

(lost photos)

Rear is homemade (addiction now taking over), 1/8" plate, 4x4x1/8" box tube for air reservoir (that I don't use).

Tire carrier was removed because I'm going to pull the bumper to rework it a little when it gets warm. ;)

As it is now (the addiction won, I'm forever lost).

That should piss off a few Cherokee guys Brian :D serves them right for using our 8.8's...that bumper never looked so good :thumbsup:

DB_1 said:
That should piss off a few Cherokee guys Brian :D serves them right for using our 8.8's...that bumper never looked so good :thumbsup:

I don't think it would look good on a Cherokee, cause they don't look good. ;)

My new front bumper....Not on the truck yet :rolleyes: Also there will be some more mods to it.

122872.jpg

12287On_2.jpg

BKennedy said:
I don't think it would look good on a Cherokee, cause they don't look good. ;)

Is that front bumper off a cherokee? If so what year and what kind is it? Obviously you fabbed up some mounting tabs....but width wise they work?

chris1044 said:
Is that front bumper off a cherokee? If so what year and what kind is it? Obviously you fabbed up some mounting tabs....but width wise they work?

His bumpers are fully custom ;)

Bkennedys front is infact off a cherokee. Not sure what year or company that made it. It looks good. The mounts to frame had to be modified and the bar holding the lights was added as well. It is a nice looking setup forsure.

RockRanger said:
Bkennedys front is infact off a cherokee. Not sure what year or company that made it. It looks good. The mounts to frame had to be modified and the bar holding the lights was added as well. It is a nice looking setup forsure.

It is? Well I feel stupid now! :banghead:

Is anyone making custom bumpers for the Ex any more? I want to get one for mine but no one has them for the 2nd gen.

Tim

94ZebraRanger said:
Is anyone making custom bumpers for the Ex any more? I want to get one for mine but no one has them for the 2nd gen.

Tim

soon I hope in the next month or so I'll be making them.... keep a eye open for a thread on here about them soon I hope

if anyone knows where to find custom bumpers for the 2nd gen. please post BC if i cant find one soon ill prob have to just fab one myself

2 inch 0.188wall

Attachments

• DSC01157.JPG
    DSC01157.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 13,605

I have a friend up in WIS who is going to be making me a custom front bumper with in the next few months.
I'm not good a describing too well, so I'll use other bumpers as refs. The basic design is going to be much like yosh18981898's, but with tubes for braces instead of flat plate and it will also have a 2" receiver in the middle. It will have a pre-runner hoop similar to Josh S's bumper with 4 light tabs and finally it will have the lower tube in a little further than the top one kind of like svande8952's rear bumper.
I already have a front skid-plate, so I won't be having one put on the bumper, but that was ones of the designs. It is going to cost around $300 - $400 depending on material costs and actual labor. Being it is the first he has made for a Explorer he couldn't give me an exact price.
Thats the best I can describe it, I'm just waiting to save up cash and then the Explorer will be going to his shop to have it installed. :thumbsup:
I mentioned people may be interested in one for themself and he said bring it on, once he has done mine he will have all the measurments and any others would be a pice of cake.

chris1044 said:

That front bumper is for a Cherokee XJ from Protofab. Made a few modifications, like cutting off the front 6" off the frame. Also had to put a plate across the end of the frame, then add tabs to that, since the Cherokee mounts are a few inches wider. Ended up cutting off the original bumper mounting tabs to get the bumper in a few more inches. Added shackle mounts and the light bar also.

Rear bumper is custom made from a 7X7", 1/4" thick beam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mudho-very sweet front bumper man. This is pretty damn close to what I am contemplating to do to my rig. My **** is too weak right now to take a hard hit or do much more than being for looks and a hi-lift point, but that is nice and beefy. I think I would make it dual-tube, and bending up on the ends to meet the other tube, similar to my rear bumper, just to make things a bit beefier on the rock-bashing stuff, and for sliding off the rocks.(but it looks really nice!! just need to toss a winch in there!! :thumbsup: )

Back