Shrapnel on Valve Body Separator Plate Gasket - Hosed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shrapnel on Valve Body Separator Plate Gasket - Hosed?

Fredness

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tejas!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Original Thread

Old VB is out - ouch.
Can someone ID this shrapnel?

Red circles are fallouts from what looks like the intermediate and overdrive bands:

Old_VB.jpg

Close up of first shrapnel pile:

Gold.jpg

Close up of second shrapnel pile:

Gold2.jpg

Close up of "gold dust" that was streaming from a couple areas:

Gold_dust.jpg

Is this tranny hosed?

My plan is to get the "Pros" to adjust the bands, and if the trans continues to perform as well as it has been, I'll treat it as a VB issue and continue with the filter/oversized cooler install.

Thanks!

{Links fixed - photos work in IE and FF}

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can think of a couple scenarios:
1. The 2-3 Flare and OD is a failing band (or more), and the new valve body has higher pressure and is masking the symptoms, but the damage continues.
2. The 2-3 Flare, loss of OD and shavings are a symptom of the failed valve body and all is well.
I'm hoping it is the latter, but believe it's the former.

The pics aren't showing up.

Strange, I see them just fine... unless I use Firefox

If you are using something other than IE:
Click on Tools, Options, Content, and make sure that Load Images is checked, and "for the originating web site only" is unchecked

I host all my own images, and that may be the issue.

Edit: I rewrote my .htaccess file and it still doesn't show - strange...

Edit: Fixed! Works in FireFox now.

Mozilla for me! It looks like it could be the material that is on the bands (like fibrous brake pad material) I have no Idea what the gold dust is, maybe a bore slave with a brass insert from inside the trans is rubbing - it looks like brass:dunno:

there wouldn't be a brass in it cept for the servo repair sleeves (if it was fixed once before. it would make sense though, the intermediate servo applies pressure to the IM band and if the bore was wearing out again you would accumulate brass and the servo might not apply accurately... I would check the servos on the side of the trans to see if a brass repair sleeve was installed and is failing. Mike

Tell me straight Doc, I can handle it...
Is it terminal?

It was.
Handled under a 6/100K I didn't know we had (used).
$108.20 out of pocket for $500 in parts and $???? in labor.

Back