• Register Today It's free!

Shudder after belt replacement?

Vallan

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer AWD 5.0L
First of all thanks to everyone who makes this forum. I never tried to fix anything beyond lights before this forum. This community is almost like having the Dad you wished you'd had to teach you things about vehicle maintenance.

Now to my issue. I have a 97 Explorer AWD 5.0L, 97K miles. I replaced my serpentine belt with a gator belt today. I triple checked routing via diagram under hood and fired it up. Sounded & looked great. Shifted into reverse and it shuddered for 1 second then stabilized. Back out of garage ok, shift into drive and shudderes again 1 sec, then stable. Drive around neighborhood slow with windows down. Sounds and feels ok. All gauges in normal range.

Should I be worried by this and what's up with the shudder? Any input appreciated and thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help me

Sorry i cant help you but i have a question myself. I cant seem to figure out how to post a question of my own and this is the only way i can think of to have to have someone help my. Can you please inform me on how to make my own post?

there should be a new thread button top left when you enter a forum. Ours for example..
click home to get back to the main page
on the right you see a box that says popular sections
click 1995-2001 Explorers
Choose Stock
You should see the New Thread button top left of all messages

Did you happen to move the car and turn the steering wheel with the motor off during the belt change? It is unlikely that you did, but if you did, you probably just got air in the steerning system which causes shudder when the wheel is turned.

I did turn the wheels sharply with the engine off (making a bit of room to get the front passenger wheel guard off). That can induce air in the system?

I did turn the wheels sharply with the engine off (making a bit of room to get the front passenger wheel guard off). That can induce air in the system?

yeah, it is a known problem. You should start the motor and cycle the steering from stop to stop a few times to remove the air.

No more shudder. Problem was exactly as described. Thanks all for the input!

Now with so much great info I'm going to try the rear brakes next, replace broken antenna mast, flush coolant systems and flush the tranny.

Back