Shut off in walmart parking lot . crank but wont start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shut off in walmart parking lot . crank but wont start.

Reaction score
City, State
York PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
I have a 99 explorer i am trouble shooting. I finished changing spark plug and dove to walmart to pick up some items. It was sitting for about 7 months and started on occasion. When i went to park, it shut down and wouldn't restart. so managed to push into parking space. it cranks fine since we put in new battery. looks like it has fuel pressure. replaced coil thinking maybe it went bad. tried starting it with either but didnt fire up,

any ideas to check would be helpful.

thanks,
richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes a faulty crankshaft position sensor can cause this to happen. Slide up under the right front near the crank damper pulley and wiggle the wires on the sensor.
Also, another item that can cause this is a loose connector on the IAC. I hope that this helps.

STOP guessing and throwing parts (coil) at it. Almost fail safe way to diagnose is scanning for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) from your OBD2 port connector. Most larger auto parts chain stores rent OBD2 readers with a fully refundable deposit. Check engine light does NOT have to be on to have stored trouble codes as long as the battery has not been disconnected. If any, write the "P0" NUMBER(s) down and post them here.

Similar issue with my 2000 Sport. Ran fine until one day.. Cranked and wouldn't start. Listen for the fuel pump to kick in when the ignition is turned to the on position. Mine was dead quiet.. Pump was bad, most likely a bad spot on the armature. Cycling the key a bunch of times would eventually get the pump to engage.

I had a clogged fuel filter back in 2014.

I have a 99 explorer i am trouble shooting. I finished changing spark plug and dove to walmart to pick up some items. It was sitting for about 7 months and started on occasion. When i went to park, it shut down and wouldn't restart. so managed to push into parking space. it cranks fine since we put in new battery. looks like it has fuel pressure. replaced coil thinking maybe it went bad. tried starting it with either but didnt fire up,

any ideas to check would be helpful.
e
richard
update on starting issue. this afternoon the explorer starter. drove around the block. the check engine light came on. It was P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. I did replace the whole thermostat housing because temp gauge was working and it was easier to replace assembly from past experience on another vehicle.

Would the 2 wires being switch on on the ect sensor cause it. they were cut at 1 point and it someone may have been spliced wrong. i am going to work on trying to resplice it. does anyone have a wire diagram easily available. i have to try an locate my haines manual.

1674445336142.png

My 1999 ford explorer zoom in and you can see the wires the gray sensor is for the computer

OP, apparently ECT sensor failure and wiring is very common. Don't have time to search through 30+ pages, but search for your info here. GL

Back