• Register Today It's free!

shutting off while driving

spkhone

Reaction score
City, State
south bend, in
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
this is the second time it has happened to me. it'll just die for no apparent reason. i can restart it with no problems. today i was exiting on a ramp and it just died. didn't realize it until i turned the steering wheel hard and wondered why my steering was harder. look down and the lights were on and the tach was off. also speedometer has been died a couple of days now and i can't find the speed sensor on the tranny,. can someone tell me where its at and can this cause my truck to die on me. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this happen to me once a few years ago, but never repeated since. I don't know why, so I can't help.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59910&highlight=shut

On my 97, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is located on the transfer case. For a 2wd, it would be on the transmission extention housing (near the rear of the trans). It may be different for the 98 version. I seem to recall that 98 may use a sensor on the rear axle instead of the trans/transfer case.

dont discound the simple things...... like cleaning your battery terminals.

a battery terminal that isnt connecting well can cause this to happen.

i'll check the battery out then. i'll also check the axle out for the sensor. gotta get the truck ready for the winter.

Not familiar with the '98 but it sounds like a Fuel Pump Relay going bad.
When I bought my '91 three years ago that was one reason the guy was selling it. It was shutting down intermittenly and by the time it was towed to a Service guy it would fire up and run great. It would be fine for weeks sometimes before doing it again.
The only electrical thing I did as far as that would go was replace the ECC and Fuel pump relay. That was three years and over 36K miles ago.

I 2nd what Tony H is suggesting.

I had this problem for quite awhile. I'd be driving along the hwy at 120km/h, and look down and realize the engine had died only because of the dash lights coming on and the RPM's at zero.
I had previously swapped the blower motor relay and the fuel pump relay and it continued to do it. I had it checked out and a wire to the relay changed, but it did not solve the problem.
It was by fluke I was messing around with it while it was running trying to make it stall out, and in a minor second of frustration banged the handle of my screwdriver on the open relay box and that did the trick.

I should have taken pictures, but somehow 2 of my relays the prongs had all twisted (which I cant see how it is possible for it to happen during install), there was plier marks on the prongs as well.

I bought the truck for a good deal, and I am positive this was the reason why. Looks to me like someone that may have stood to gain from a trouble shooting, potential electrical problem might have done it intentionally.

After all the headaches, a $7 relay (2 days before I had arranged with a buddy to use his shop to swap fuel pumps ($200+). Hasnt stalled in over a year now!!!!

Start there, maybe swap the relay with the blower motor and keep an eye out for it (blower) to kick out intermittently.

Good Luck

cool. i guess i'll just change that out and i figured out where my speed sensor is. it was located in the rear axle on top. gonna have to change my O2 sensor before the cat. its making my check engine light come on telling me that its running lean. oh what does "ecc" mean. also gonna change the inline fuel filter.

Mine has done a similar thing 4 times, but it has only happed when I have come to a complete stop and am making a left turn up a slight hill the RPM will hit 2500 and it will just cut out, it’s got me completely stumped and Ford (For what it’s worth) Have got no idea ether.

GreenSeats said:
dont discound the simple things...... like cleaning your battery terminals.

a battery terminal that isnt connecting well can cause this to happen.

If the truck is running a bad battery connection won't cause it to do that as long as your Alternator is working correctly. You can actually take the battery out while the vehicle is running and it will continue to run fine. Basically the only thing the battery supplies power for is starting.

I had a fuel pump relay almost drive me nuts also. I disassembled the distribution box, and one at a time removed the lugs and pinched them together to tighten their grip. Still I had the problem, was a bad relay

ok now. i can't find the speed sensor or vss in the tranny. i changed the rear speed sensor and my speedo still does not work. cruise control, trip meter, and odometer do not work. the speedo needle will move a little bit and then quit working. i drive a 98 2wd. anyone can help me out again. i'm getting really stumped.

Here is some info from the 97 manual. Your 98 should be similar.

Attachments

• speedo1.jpg
    speedo1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 373

f1

Attachments

• speedo2.jpg
    speedo2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 363
  • speedo3.jpg
    speedo3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 371

f2

Attachments

• speedo4.jpg
    speedo4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 371
  • speedo5.jpg
    speedo5.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 359

f3

Attachments

• speedo6.jpg
    speedo6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 355
  • speedo7.jpg
    speedo7.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 359
  • speedo8.jpg
    speedo8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 350

f4

Attachments

• speedo10.jpg
    speedo10.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 349
  • speedo9.jpg
    speedo9.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 366

f5

Attachments

• speedo11.jpg
    speedo11.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 355
  • speedo12.jpg
    speedo12.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 357

f6

Attachments

• speedo13.jpg
    speedo13.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 345

the 98 doesn't have the vss. uses the rear sensor to read speed. today my friend tried to diagnose what was wrong. he used his snap on computer and it kept saying that there was something wrong with the speed sensor. test drove it with the comp hooked up and its showing me the speed being read and that the ecu was reading it. all sensors work. still speedo does not work. later on after that the speedo started to work really erratic. needle would just jump and the stop and do it again. anyone have a schematic of the speedometer and all the connections that go with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only have the 97 schematic, but maybe it will help. You could look on Ebay for a 98 manual if this doesn't help.

Attachments

• instsche1.jpg
    instsche1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 334
  • instsche2.jpg
    instsche2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 333
  • instsche3.jpg
    instsche3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 337

Back