Sick of working on your axle sitting on short jackstands? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sick of working on your axle sitting on short jackstands?

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I know I was. I was trying to move my dana 44 over a few inches with it sitting on jackstands and then it fell off and on to the ground. Got so sick of having to practaclly sit Indian style when messing with an axle out of vechicle that I tossed this thing together. It is made out of 3" channel steel. I then put 4 caster wheels on it so I can move it around easily. Total cost about $30 $15 for the castors from Harbor freight and then about $15 in scrape steel. The axle sits in 2" wide pieces of the channel that I welded to the top to make a U shape for it to sit in. Right now it is a bit flimsy but sure beats sitting 12" off the ground trying to work on an axle.

Now I just need to go get more castors for my workbench hydro press and band saw to make them all moveable as well.

Attachments

• axleholder.jpg
    axleholder.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 293

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, Matt! What are they going to retail for? ;)

That is just a LITTLE bit better than mine...it's on cement blocks. :D

Cool! If it is a little flimsy I would tie those two upright pieces together near the top with something and throw some gussets on the bottom.

I have always thought about making one similar to that and it would also double as a storage stand for axles since I have a couple laying around.

I have thought aobout putting a piece across the top to help support it except it will get in the way of the version 2.0 mods:D I am planning on adding some expanded metal on the bottom so that I can set drain pans on there to drain the oil of of diffs. Also if the expanded metal is strong enough I could set two more axles on the base and the pinions wouldnt rotate down and hang up on stuff. However I think 3 complete axles might over load the 3" castor wheels. Right now it is plenty strong to do my gear swaps on. If you put a 60 or a 14bolt on there it would defently need some cross bracing though.

I like it. Paint it up!

-Drew

u lift taht axle up onto the stand yourself.......SUPERMAN. hehehe

Back