• Register Today It's free!

Side Markers as Blinkers

gh67

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0-sold;06 Limited v8
Hey all, I've noticed the 4th gen turn signals are fairly far in-board and hard to see from off angles. Has anyone modded their side markers as blinkers? Through the magic of the seach button, I found this old thread....have to assume the same mod would work on the new models.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87382

I don't really care if the marker and primary signal alternate or blink together....just a matter of how you wire it. Don't know why this isn't OEM given where the original signals are located.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the 06 eddie bauer i have lights under my side mirrors but they dont work as signal lights. someone can probably mod it to do it though. that would be a cool mod. :thumbsup:

on the 06 eddie bauer i have lights under my side mirrors but they dont work as signal lights. someone can probably mod it to do it though. that would be a cool mod. :thumbsup:

The lights under the mirrors are puddle lamps and would not do what he is looking to do, i did this type of mod on a previous vehicle (front side light) to blink as well and was a nice cheap mod, you just have to know the wiring diagram

The lights under the mirrors are puddle lamps and would not do what he is looking to do, i did this type of mod (front side light) to blink as well and was a nice cheap mod, you just have to know the wiring diagram
great to know it works on the 06's. Did you set it up to blink with or alternating with the signals? You run into any blinker timing or fuse issues?
---------
EDIT: Nevermind, I just went to the garage and did it....took me about an hour to do it right with making pigtails w/ good connectors and retaping (wanted to make it less obvious if dealer has headlight out). Have to remove headlight assembly to access everything. Works great. I pulled up the 06 wiring diagram 1st to be safe.

The following is to make the side markers flash opposite of the front signals (which I like).

driver's side: cut Black/Green (ground) from side marker and splice into Blue/Green (12V signal wire).
passenger side: Black/Grey from side marker to Yellow/Purple of signal
---------
EDIT #2: I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier....but I just checked it out with the parking lights off; both the side marker and original signal blink together....they only alternate when parking lights are on. Works for me...I like it. I just looked at it in the dark...MUCH more visibility. Almost takes the place of a signal mirror since a car in your blind spot could easily see the side marker blinking (at night...fairly dim for day).

great to know it works on the 06's. Did you set it up to blink with or alternating with the signals? You run into any blinker timing or fuse issues?
---------
EDIT: Nevermind, I just went to the garage and did it....took me about an hour to do it right with making pigtails w/ good connectors and retaping (wanted to make it less obvious if dealer has headlight out). Have to remove headlight assembly to access everything. Works great. I pulled up the 06 wiring diagram 1st to be safe.

The following is to make the side markers flash opposite of the front signals (which I like).

driver's side: cut Black/Green (ground) from side marker and splice into Blue/Green (12V signal wire).
passenger side: Black/Grey from side marker to Yellow/Purple of signal
---------
EDIT #2: I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier....but I just checked it out with the parking lights off; both the side marker and original signal blink together....they only alternate when parking lights are on. Works for me...I like it. I just looked at it in the dark...MUCH more visibility. Almost takes the place of a signal mirror since a car in your blind spot could easily see the side marker blinking (at night...fairly dim for day).

Right on, i just had to edit my previous post as i left out when i did this mod (it was on previous vehicle) but now with the wires, i may just do this soon on my Exp. :) thanks!

Back