Side Rails (Nerf) which are functionally Sturdy solid mountings. Any? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side Rails (Nerf) which are functionally Sturdy solid mountings. Any?

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I have searched around old threads on mostly removing old side rails on 4th Gen Explorers. Anyone installed aftermarket Chrome or Stainless tube style (not flat ones).

Most discussions are for earlier years I found but no recommendations or experience found.

On my 07 I discarded the power boards that were stuck in down position when I bought it for my son. Picked up a pair of Eddie Bauer running boards in perfect condition for $ 150. Perfect fit, 25 minutes to install.
Aftermarket boards have mounting issues as not all of them fit if you have rear AC - watch out for that.
My 06

06_zpsofjlrpui.jpg

The 07 with jnk yard ones, this is my favourite style. The mounting points on Explorer frame are tricky.

07_zps0htumgbd.jpg

Here is my 2010 Explorer with stock, non retracting, running boards. When I was shopping around for this truck, a lot of them had those electric running boards and agree they are a disaster, especially in snow country. These are Factory OEM 'open style' that will not trap all the snow, water and salt and have it sit there. I just got lucky that this truck did not have them else they would be off by now...

Step.JPG
driverside.JPG
passrear.JPG
mount.JPG

Back