Side Skirt Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side Skirt Removal

I know people here have done this before but I could not find any threads for it. I know how I want the end result to look, but I'm looking for words of caution and/or ideas. I took off the side skirts this morning and I'm probably going to start rolling on the Duplicolor bed liner after I nom on some breakfast. This is where I'm at right now...

P1180082.jpg

P1180083.jpg

I'm going to tape off, sand, and duplicolor only the plane with holes in it. In other words, if you're standing over the driver's seat looking down you would only see painter's tape... if that makes sense. I'd like to put a badass looking bolt or stud in each hole, but I know they won't stay put without a nut on the other side. Also, I don't know what size bolt I would need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update...

Finished bed lining a few hours ago...

P1180084-1.jpg

P1180085.jpg

Did you fill the holes? If so what did you use? I pulled all that crap off last night and now I am left with the same holes.

Nope, I have yet to fill them. In fact I forgot about my plans for them until you mentioned it. I'll take a look at how to get in there and I'll get back to you. Sorry for the late response/zombie thread.

i just did the same thing but with herculiner. i used a aluminum duct tape?? that i got from a mechanical contractor, used to seal up flexible a/c duct. i think you can get it at lowes. i scuffed it up with the paint to be covered, and wiped it down with acetone prior to applying the herculiner. it worked great. i will try and find some pics

Nice, please do. Would it be prudent to try and cut off the lower flap where the other holes are?

i wouldnt cut that lip off, i have heard of people bending it up and level

sorry, no before pics. just imagine little chrome stickers covering the holes:D
here is what i found

IMG00027-20090313-1902.jpg

IMG00035-20090313-2022.jpg

a tip for anyone wanting to do this
make sure your masking tape is perfect. the bedliner bled under the tape transitions ( all i had was 2" wide tape, and that does not easily curve) on the fenders, making them look directional:mad: , now i have to go back over it and round them out

IMG00024-20090313-1901.jpg

Wow your project was a lot more involved than mine. Looks rugged

Wow your project was a lot more involved than mine. Looks rugged

yeah it took 1.5 days to completely do/cure with 2.5 coats, and that stuff is tuff as hell. i had to do so much because the sports come with plastic trim all the way to the back hatch. i had a lot of holes to tape over. but i will be real happy with the result as soon as i fix the curve on the fenders

to fill those holes Afreind of mine did his by spaying medium expanding foam and bondo.

They also sell "Christmas trees" (the little black plastic things) at home depot that would work.

They also sell "Christmas trees" (the little black plastic things) at home depot that would work.

What are these christmas trees?

I don't remember how large the hole was but that style would wort and you could paint them with plastic paint.

Perfect. Painting them would be nice, but kind of tacky IMO, no?

Perfect. Painting them would be nice, but kind of tacky IMO, no?

"i am having my wife type this, i am not going to read this before she posts it."

Ha Ha Lena very funny

any way I was saying that I left mine empty but I have seen some just black.I have never seen painted ones, but I would think it would depend on the "look" your going for.

Back