Side to side bar under the back of front seat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side to side bar under the back of front seat?

Dean J

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Anyone know if that bar is structural or if it has anything in it?

I'm assuming it's a cross-brace of some sort, but all it seems to do is hold the seats 8" off the floor, so wanted to check. What's the name of that thing in the parts diagram?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if that bar is structural or if it has anything in it?

I'm assuming it's a cross-brace of some sort, but all it seems to do is hold the seats 8" off the floor, so wanted to check. What's the name of that thing in the parts diagram?

I think it's just part of the seat frame.

I think it's just part of the seat frame.

Time to get a ratchet, take out the seat, and check it out. If it's not structural for the car, that's damn well lovely!

@peterk9 I think it is indeed #8 in the second drawing. Goes across the floor at the back of the seats.

Non-structural, other than to keep the seats in place? (It's pretty heavy duty!)

Time to get a ratchet, take out the seat, and check it out. If it's not structural for the car, that's damn well lovely!

Looks like it also holds the rear of the center console. I didn't realize it went all the way across for both seats, but that's what the drawing is showing.

Back