Side trim pieces | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side trim pieces

ok so can anyone tell me if the side trim pieces on the doors are glued or screwed? i've been wanting to get the f-n things off of there since i got my truck, but have been hesitant to tackle the project until i knew for sure... it'd look a whole lot cleaner without them but i really don't know what i'm dealing with underneath... <br>
DSCN0639.jpg
DSCN0638.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are glued--pull em off. Don't pull the part behind the rear wheels though. That is all one piece.

Try to work slowly to get the most glue with them--

They make a special drill attachment to remove the glue--kind of like a high speed eraser-
or-you can rub the glue off with your thumb--wearing a leather glove.

The two tone line on mine was fairly good--I hope yours is the same--
to clean the line up-just find some pinstripe tape in either of the 2 colors-or-better yet-find a good contrast color-a 1/8" line is all that is needed--

the paint line would be the big concern.

If it is all factory you will be fine if has been painted you might be in for some disapointing results.

use a heat gun or your wifes heavy duty hair drier on the side trim.it will soften the double stick foam tape that kind of stuff is held on with.remember not to get the paint so hot that you can't put your hand on it though.some goof off or other tar and gum remover will get the adhesive off,put it on a shop rag and hold it against the adhesive to soften it.monix is right about the paint line underneath,sometimes bodyshops don't repaint under trim if its not getting replaced in the collision repair.depends on the shop and insurance company.

thanks guys i appreciate the help... really not concerned with the paintline underneath... it's gonna be rhino lined up to about an inch above where the trim currently is as well as around the fender swell. the pinstriping and running boards are off next. i haven't decided whether i'm gonna rhino line the bumpers yet.

Is it the same for '02 Explorers as well? The side trim is just so awful looking, I want it off ASAP if possible.

Back