• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sierra Run July 24th - 29th!!!

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
Hey everyone,

We're doing our yearly "Sierra Run." We'll be dropping off the boat at Shaver Lake and then treking up to West Lake to set up base camp. From there we'll do all the trails up to Mirror Lake, Coyote Lake, Strawberry Lake, Huntington Lake, etc... We're also going to try Swamp Creek Trail this year which is known as the Mini Rubicon up there in the Sierra's. It's an overnight trail. Anyway, we've done this 4 years in a row and it just keeps getting better. If we need to take a break from wheeling then we just goto Shaver and jump on the boat. Great camp fires at night and fun games like washers, and GPS Hunts. If anyone is interested let me know. It's about 5 hours north from LA. I guess you can do a map quest for the town of Shaver.

Later!:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
I wish I could make it. The Shaver Lake trail is so fun. I'm not locked, and I'm leaving for Baja shortly after you guys return...not enough time to do both.:(
-Ken

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Ron.. what are the requirements for this run? IYO. :D How stock could one be and make it okay?

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I was just up there this weekend and it was beautiful. We didn't do any wheeling because my buddy with a 5" lift on his Heep didn't want to get any damage??? So no Dusey Ershim trail?? Heheheeh! When and where are you meeting? How many vehicles do you have going? Do we need to have a front locker? Any more info would be great. I'm dying to try out my detroit locker!!!

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
I was on the trail 2 years ago, and I did not run the Swamp Lake because I had a kayak strapped to the top of my Ranger. But, for the Toyota IFS guys, what seemed to work the best was;

-33" tall tires - the IFS Toyota guys all had BFG AT/KOs
-Rock Sliders - these kept the IFS Toyotas w/o damage
-low gears - the IFS Toyota guys all had 4.56 gears while one IFS guy had a Marlin Crawler box which helped him out on Rooster Rock (going up).

(optional) - a winch - some Zuki's decided to travel in our company, and one had tall gears and a :eek: manual:eek: clutch. He was smokin' that clutch badly when he tried to walk it up Rooster Rock. Andrew drove to the top of Rooster Rock, strapped his Jeep to a tree, and winched that 'Zuki up the large granite slab. W/O the winch, that 'Zuki would have needed to run the entire trail back from where it came - if the clutch would have lasted long enough...

I thought the SR5's and Tacoma's did pretty good out there. After seeing them conquer that trail, I am sure Rangers and Explorers would do fine out there...
-Ken

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
...oops! Did I forget to mention they all had limited slips and/or lockers??? Some ran ARB's while others had Auburns and Detroits.
-Ken

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Have fun I was just up there over the 4th doing a bit of wheeling. Sounds like you have your work cut out. let me know how swamp is I hvent done that one yet. Dusy is a fun one but very challanging as well.

Matt

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
It's as easy or as narrly as you want it to be. If someone doesn't want to do a run, you can alway ride shotty!!! We will be doing easier trails though too! If anyone can make it I suggest you come.:D

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
The run was postponed.:(

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
What happened??? Let us know. I wish you were taking your rig w/us down to Baja. We're going to have a blast out there - especially during the night run! Yea!
-Ken