sigh...decisions

d0nk3x

Reaction score
City, State
Los Gatos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
hey guys,
i drive a 97 limited 5.0 and well i took the car in for an oil change just today. the guy tells me that thers an oil leak. i've noticed nothing when i park in the garage at night. guy says it'll be 3k to repair. am i getting bullshitted? is there cheaper alternatives to get it fixed? he said its not serious, can still drive around for a while cuz its not serious yet. so i just dont know. i was planning to finally getting a bunch of mods on the car too. mac intake, flopro exhaust. and i duno if i want to put so much money into a ford. or just sell the damn thing now. what a dilemma. inputs anyone? thanks a bunch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, find another mechanic...3k to fix a leak...even a main seal leak is waaayyy out of line.

Did you take it to a dealer, or a quik lube type place

I'd go to another shop. A decent shop at that as well - not a "tire world" or anything like that.

-Drew

$3K to fix an oil leak? wtf, get another opinion.

thanks for your input guys.
i got more detail on it. report says the oil pan gasket is leaking engine oil
and the front pinion seal is leaking oil.
im not really savvy on the engine front. someone help me out?

I think you should just sell it.

To me. :D

To remove the oil pan you need to remove the entire motor. However, I am not sure if you need to remove the pan to change the gasket. I kind of assume you would though because of the oil pump being in the middle and causing problems. Maybe someone else can share more. The front pinion is easy enough. :cool:

Pinion seal is on the rearend, at the dealer I work at it would be 1hour = $85 plus $20 for parts and the oil pan would probably be around 9hours =$965 plus $30 for parts total $1100 thats at a dealer the independent shops are around 50-65 dollars an hour. but not exact just an estimate!!
so $3,000 is wayyyyyyy way too much.

My rear main has leaked since I have had the truck. No drips, no difference in oil level. Just enough to wet the bell housing.

Take a peek underneath and see where its leaking. It won't bite you, I promise ;)

d0nk3x said:
thanks for your input guys.
i got more detail on it. report says the oil pan gasket is leaking engine oil
and the front pinion seal is leaking oil.
im not really savvy on the engine front. someone help me out?
Yet you have no leakage on your garage floor?

So what? If the truck is not needing oil every week and leaving a puddle, then why fix it?
You need to determine where the leak is and then the amount it is leaking.
Do you smell oil? Does the truck get low between changes?

Most engine's I have seen leak, thats just the way it goes.

to replace the oil pan gasket you do not need to remove the motor you need to lift it about 3 inches above it's mounts and removed the rear transmission mount to tilt the entire set up, second, the 5.0 doens't have a filled pan it has a filled sump so you will not get a direct drip, on top of that their is no need for it to leak unless the gasket dried out or something, your first sign is a oil build up on the side of the pan walls , plus try to tighten the pan bolts a bit and try a seal conditioner like Lucus that sometimes fills little leakage pionts, don't sell the truck yet, in my experience an oil pan leak on a 5.0 is rare rare oh did i say rare

Back