Signature LED Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Signature LED Lights

97towncar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Good morning,

I have a 16 explorer sport. Is there anyway to shut of the daytime running lights? the LED parking lights in the front are always on when the ignition is on. (yes i've screwed around with the settings, but they still remain on)

Ive taken it to the dealer and they said they could not do anything. I know the police intercepters have those blackout boxes. Is that what is required?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I can understand, they can be shut off using IDS. So your dealer can shut them off.

I assume the dealer used IDS when they had the car all day, but who knows. They told me there was no programming etc available to shut the lights off.

Thanks

First there needs to be clarification. The signature lighting (the partial led ring around the headlamp) is not DRL. These act as parking lights and as previously discussed in other threads come on under certain circumstances.

DRL are the low beams at a reduced intensity and only come on when enabled in the instrument cluster settings AND the headlamp switch is in the autolamp position. If the headlamp switch is in the off position then the DRL are not active. This will differ if the vehicle doesn't have autolamp however the OP has a Sport which should have autolamp.

Yes it is the partial LED rind around the headlights. (The parking lights) They are always on and wont shutoff when the ignition is on. Do you know how to shut them off?

The lights around the headlights are not LED, they are Halos.

They are always on.

When the headlight selector is in auto, the LED headlights are on as DRLs.

When you turn the headlight selector to off, the Halo Rings around the headlights are on.

The only way to turn them off would be through a computer program while plugged into the vehicle computer, if this is even possible.

Many manufacturers are adding DRLs for safety around their headlights, like Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger/Jeep Grand Cherokee's/Mercedes/etc.

I actually like the Halo Ring on the 2016 Explorer, from the sides they are not very noticeable, but from directly in front of they are very visible.

The lights around the headlights are not LED, they are Halos.

They are always on.

When the headlight selector is in auto, the LED headlights are on as DRLs.

When you turn the headlight selector to off, the Halo Rings around the headlights are on.

The only way to turn them off would be through a computer program while plugged into the vehicle computer, if this is even possible.

Many manufacturers are adding DRLs for safety around their headlights, like Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger/Jeep Grand Cherokee's/Mercedes/etc.

I actually like the Halo Ring on the 2016 Explorer, from the sides they are not very noticeable, but from directly in front of they are very visible.

From the service manual:
Signature Lighting

The headlamp LED signature lamps illuminate when the ignition is ON.

Thanks I guess ill have to look into getting the dark car option the interceptors have. Their Halo parking lights are not always on. Anybody know an emergency vehicle outfitter in southern new england?

Thanks I guess ill have to look into getting the dark car option the interceptors have. Their Halo parking lights are not always on. Anybody know an emergency vehicle outfitter in southern new england?

That has nothing to do with that. They have "normal" amber parking lights.

Well you certainly don't know how to shut them off.

I just wanted to ask one of the outfitters what they thought since the dealer was no help at all. The dealer also said Ford does not outfit any of the interceptors and it is done by another company who may have the info getting those lights to shut off.

Well you certainly don't know how to shut them off.

I just wanted to ask one of the outfitters what they thought since the dealer was no help at all. The dealer also said Ford does not outfit any of the interceptors and it is done by another company who may have the info getting those lights to shut off.

You asked about having dark car enabled. I said that has nothing to do with it (the signature LED lights). You choose not to take my educated advice. Go to a dealer and have them turn on the dark car feature and see for yourself.

[MENTION=299647]97towncar[/MENTION] - [MENTION=264213]jmr061[/MENTION] (Jason) knows his stuff and has more intimate knowledge of the systems than most of us on this board know.

Then how do you shut the parking lights off? Or is the answer you can't

The lighting systems on a Police Interceptor Utility and an Explorer are not the same. The LED signature lighting is non operational on a PI Utility by design. Instead they utilize the parking light in the same section of the headlamp assembly as the turn signal. You are comparing apples to oranges. The Explorer doesn't use the amber parking light.

There was another post in which someone wanted to do exactly what you want...they didn't give specifics but I believe a hardwired cutoff switch was installed to kill the signature lighting.

Thank you Jason, another question. can the dealer enable a feature to diasble all the exterior lights from coming on when the door is opened?

Thank you Jason, another question. can the dealer enable a feature to diasble all the exterior lights from coming on when the door is opened?

If anything that would be a dark car feature and I haven't tested that on the 16 ( I did test it with the signature lights though )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Limited and was able to turn off the DRL. The setting may be different in a Sport, however I went to Settings/Vehicle/Lighting/Daytime Lights and unchecked the box.

Back