Significant amount of oil in intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Significant amount of oil in intake

Boar

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, I searched up and down to figure out what my problem could be, talked to some of the guys at work, and nobody seems to be able to come up with a reason for this problem. I have a very worrying amount of oil being sucked into the intake tube, you know where there is a small-ish hose going from the neck of the oil filler neck to the big ol intake tube (the one that goes from the air-box to throttle body) and it's really beginning to bother me.

Not long after i change air filters, the new filter will be half soaked with oil, oil accumulating in the air-box, oil in the air tube, and if i flip open the butterfly in the throttle body i can see a pool of oil in the intake manifold.

Replaced the PCV already, and thats that. I dont know what else could cause it all to flow out of the valve cover so much. Am i missing something?

I hope the ramble makes sense...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

**Disclaimer, I'm new here and this is anecdotal experience from 1 person , but it's crazy seeing this.**

I had a friend with a Ranger same issue. PCV valve replacement was defective - we tried another and it worked fine. The guy at Autozone was trying to tell is the rings were worn, and it was "blow-by", but it had been babied by his father previously so we were skeptical.

If your engine has been taken care of and it's running tip-top I'd try another PCV just in case.

Check the hose to the other valve cover.

I had considered blowby too but i checked compression a year ago, and it was between 155 and 160 each cyl, really dont thing anything could have happened in a year, especially since i take care of the thing. But i might try that i suppose, a new pcv that is.

There is another hose? is it easy to spot, Josh?

There is another hose? is it easy to spot, Josh?

Yes, on my aerostar it is at the back of the drivers side valve cover at goes a couple inches into the intake manifold. The system is a loop, if one side gets plugged, or unable to suck the air through it is like putting a straw in a glass.

Oh man, thank you, Ill get under the hood in the morning and see if thats the issue!!

Yes, on my aerostar it is at the back of the drivers side valve cover at goes a couple inches into the intake manifold. The system is a loop, if one side gets plugged, or unable to suck the air through it is like putting a straw in a glass.

Josh, i dont thing the motors are quite the same, i searched around and did not find a hose connecting the two valve covers.

I didn't word my response very well, I'm sorry. The hose and vacuum port into the intake at the pcv. Make sure it isn't plugged.

Back