Silver Explorer Sport - delivery on Wednesday! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Silver Explorer Sport - delivery on Wednesday!

tazcubed

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
OK, I didn't realize I had to apply for the "Elite Explorer" to post pics. Pictures will be posted as soon as the privileges come through - sorry. I pick up my vehicle tomorrow, Wednesday October 10th - had a look today "by a chance pass to the dealer" and have to say that it looks even better than expected! REALLY looking forward to getting it out on the road! It's a Sport with black interior, group 402A, dual sunroof, active cruise control, navigation, DVD headrests, and trailer package.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats!! Close to what I ordered can't wait to see the pics.

You can host pics on any free photo host website. Then just link with image tag

It seems of the two articles, one article says steering is not light enough while other says it's too light. :scratch:

Also, they clocked the 0-60 at 6.7 seconds? On youtube someone put their 2011/2012 explorer (xlt or limited) naturally aspirated v6 under heavy acceleration. I timed the 0-60 of THAT vehicle at 7.4 seconds......twice.

Soooo 0-60 on a sport with summer tires is .8 seconds faster than a naturally aspired v6 - yeeeeah I don't think so. Take 1 second off that 6.7 second 0-60 time... Especially when that engine is broken in.

Delayed, but now delivered

OK, I didn't realize I had to apply for the "Elite Explorer" to post pics. Pictures will be posted as soon as the privileges come through - sorry. I pick up my vehicle tomorrow, Wednesday October 10th - had a look today "by a chance pass to the dealer" and have to say that it looks even better than expected! REALLY looking forward to getting it out on the road! It's a Sport with black interior, group 402A, dual sunroof, active cruise control, navigation, DVD headrests, and trailer package.

Sorry guys, pictures to come this afternoon - had the delivery delayed until Thursday and it was a bit too rainy around here to take any decent pictures. Will get onto it ASAP (barring a long test drive today! :D )

It seems of the two articles, one article says steering is not light enough while other says it's too light. :scratch:

Also, they clocked the 0-60 at 6.7 seconds? On youtube someone put their 2011/2012 explorer (xlt or limited) naturally aspirated v6 under heavy acceleration. I timed the 0-60 of THAT vehicle at 7.4 seconds......twice.

Soooo 0-60 on a sport with summer tires is .8 seconds faster than a naturally aspired v6 - yeeeeah I don't think so. Take 1 second off that 6.7 second 0-60 time... Especially when that engine is broken in.
Does the youtube video show them using a p or vbox to datalog 0-60. If it is of the stop watch variety, that is not very accurate. With that being said with the flat torque curve that this powerband will have, I would not doubt a high 5 second/low 6 second 0-60. With a tune that takes out some of the torque management and ups the power, a mid 5 second run should be attainable.

they clocked the 0-60 at 6.7 seconds?
I timed the 0-60 of THAT vehicle at 7.4 seconds......twice.

Soooo 0-60 on a sport with summer tires is .8 seconds faster

Math much? ;)

Does the youtube video show them using a p or vbox to datalog 0-60. If it is of the stop watch variety, that is not very accurate. With that being said with the flat torque curve that this powerband will have, I would not doubt a high 5 second/low 6 second 0-60. With a tune that takes out some of the torque management and ups the power, a mid 5 second run should be attainable.

Yes, it is of the stop watch variety for I'm the one using the stopwatch (for the most part it is accurate enough for me - it's always been within .1 or.2 seconds on anything I used it for - .1 seconds is, to me, pretty negligible) .:D The driver of that ex was holding a camcorder aimed at the speedometer while he floored it. Yeah. I guess my standards are kind of low. :D

I definitely understand what you mean by using a professional datalog system. It was difficult for me to hit that point where the vehicle just starts to move. Part of it too is the driver. Many of the reports from car and driver, motortrend as well as other review companies have given the explorer a 7.5-8.5 0-60. Assuming these reviewers use similar equipment, why such a big difference between companies that use similar equipment? Would the driver have anything to do with it? Probably. If you watch a video, film camera speed would likely affect it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qo8DGYtx_A&feature=related

I agree with you about the high 5 second/low 6 second 0-60 range - it should easily be attainable. However 6.7 seconds is not a "low" 6 second range, it's fairly high - more mid, but fairly high. But then again, the Driver, a potentially "non-broken-in" engine and some rough roads might account for most of that (within reason). So, maybe 6.7 is fairly accurate. I don't know, We'll have to see what this car do with a good driver and "broken in" motor.

I'm sure they will be coming soon. :D

Finally! Some pictures...

OK, it's taken me a while to get some time in to actually upload what I've got. The weather hasn't been good, so haven't had a chance to get some detailed pics done yet. For now, I'm posting the one's I took with my phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88655238@N05/

I'll try to get to more pictures if the weather holds out tomorrow. Any particular shots people are looking for?

Assuming these reviewers use similar equipment, why such a big difference between companies that use similar equipment? Would the driver have anything to do with it?

If they are using a data logger, then it should detect when acceleration starts, and when 60mph is hit, so driver, as long as they go from no throttle to full throttle as fast as possible, shouldn't have an impact.

What would have an impact is tires, heat of tires, weather, temperature, road material (asphalt vs cement vs blacktop, etc), road incline or decline if any, ruts, ribs, etc. So there are numerous factors to give a half second to second difference.

Congrats
Pic's look good.......put some more up when you get a chance.

Looks awesome, how is the engine braking in? Have you gotten to a close to full throttle experience yet? Debating on one of these or an F150 Crew Cab but the F150 would have to stay outside as the garage is to small so not so happy about that. Only hauling I need to do is a 3500lbs pop up so I am eager to see how the power is on this thing.

Looks great!! Thanks for posting pics.

Back