Simmons Thermostat Housing parts

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Just finished installing the Simmons Thermostat Housing. Awesome upgrade, and we are lucky to be able to get away from plastic housings and inferior design. The plastic housings have many failure points, and after a few years, mine were apparently all leaking.

The only issue with this upgrade “modification” was the replacement of threaded sensors with o-ring push in sensors. There are two OEM threaded sensors, one for the computer, and one for the gauge. The OEM sensors have different part numbers, and the two OEM clip connectors are not identical. The threaded sensors will not fit in the Simmons housing, and the o-ring push in sensors are not made as an option for ’97 era Explorers.

I called Jonathan Simmons, of Simmons Motor Sports, about the sensor replacement, and he said I could use o-ring push in sensors from a 2004 Ranger. So I checked the parts houses, Advance Auto and Auto Zone… they had two separate part numbers for two separate sensors, but could not obtain Motorcraft sensors.

I called the local Ford dealership, and ordered Motorcraft sensors for the 2004 Ford Ranger. However, when they arrived, the 2004 Ford Ranger Motorcraft sensor identical to each other, and were the same part number. The local Ford shop confirmed this was correct, and so did a Ford dealer in Colorado (just to make sure this was not a local error).

I tried to install the Ford identical 2004 Ranger sensors.. the OEM clips would not fit. First photo attached: There is a slightly off-set ridge on one of the connectors the prevents interchange of the OEM sensors and clips. Then I had two options … file down the off-set ridge, which probably would have maintained a very adequate connection.

But using identical sensors would also have done something that the Ford engineers took extra measure to avoid. I did not know if the second identical sensor would have the same values or electrical messaging…. Would this have worked fine? Or caused trouble or damage? I do not know the answer, because I went to the aftermarket parts store and obtained the different second sendor/sensor. Second photo attached.

CONCLUSION: This Simmons Thermostat Housing is awesome. Almost every failure point has been addressed and resolved. This Aluminum single piece housing should last, and far exceeds the mechanics and durability of a plastic seamed housing, or any lesser designed part. Mr. Simmons was very responsive, and very helpful. The part arrived as ordered. However, I would be sure to use a sensor and sender units that were not identical. The aftermarket stores have correct and usable part numbers for a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC that seem to fit and work very well.

EDIT: The extra sensor was given to a Ford Explorer Brother in Alabama.

Thanks, and good luck.

21BD42BF-FA78-4640-827E-6551B7B64AAF.jpeg

A4EFA793-5B2D-4146-9F04-298839414858.jpeg

Back