Simple 3rd gen snorkel

Mr. Truckles

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
After seeing the write ups for the all the 2nd gens out there and coming to the conclusion that I needed one on my 2002 XLT 4.0, I went for it! I didn't find any DIY 3rd gen snorkel threads so I decided to take a couple pictures during my mock up to help out anyone that might be interested. Feel free to ask any questions!

I borrowed most of the ideas from other members including:

dman726749 who has a great 2nd gen snorkel thread here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189837

The trap adapter airbox seal was courtesy of albi1cnobi1

I cut a hole through the inner fender. (Right on the hole where the windshield washer harness passes through, I re-routed the harness and the moved the horn) A standard 90* Elbow was a perfect fit!

Plenty of room inside the fender. Although I had to modify the antenna bracket to allow the pipe to pass through. I used regular pipe straps and large self tapping screws with backers to mount the pipe onto the inner fender.

This is the trap adapter from home depot: It was sealed with Black GE silicone-II after mockup and a plastic plate was epoxied over the original inlet hole. The drain holes were also filled with the silicone-II

Trimmed the corner of the fender with a heavy duty set of aviation shears and brushed some clearcoat paint on the edges where the paint chipped to stop rust. Followed up with some edge trim to make it look cleaner.

The Finished painted product. And yes the top is a carlon service entrance cap for all the electrician's who noticed :thumbsup: It'll be changed to an ARB style snorkel top once it comes in the mail!

I hope this helped out some of you, I wish I had taken more pics but it was getting pretty dark. Total build time was about 3 hours or so. Once you get over the idea of cutting a big hole in your fender it's smooth sailing! (Fenders are cheaper than an engine rebuild ;))

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job! Very clean, the install looks eerily familiar.lol! I do like the carlon SE cap, nice touch. By the way, I got my 32's mounted. Ready for another run?

Thanks guys! I just need to think of a way to perfectly seal the two halves of the airbox together. I'm not sure how much i trust the filter's gasket and those cheap little clips :scratch: Even though I don't want to go that deep and the snorkel is mostly for engine safety and big splashes I'd like to do a complete job.

And Al, that's awesome! I'm getting my 32s on friday! Btw, October 28th is the 11th annual Wharton 4x4 and clean up day. Shawn and I are bringing both trucks! Supposed to be a really fun day.

October 28th. I'll make sure my calendar is clear so I can be there! Can you post any info you have for the clean up? Also congrats on the 32's, they should look awesome. I love the more aggressive stance it has with them. When I bought my K&N replacement filter it came with an extra gasket that you stick on the lip of the air box to give it a tighter seal. I also found some clips that I want to replace the stock ones on the box. I found them online but I'm trying to find them locally, when I get them I'll post some pics. They look like they will be perfect to seal the air box tightly.

Damn that looks clean!

That sounds great I would definitely like to see how those clips work out for you. And I can't wait to see how the tires look when I get them.

and thanks Wheelin'ex, do it up! I think the grand total was maybe $20 not too bad!! I like these snorkels better anyway because you can change them however you like.

Question

Hi, Excellent job, but how did you stand the pipe to the door frame?
BR
Saludos desde México

:eek: 3 year old thread and a different model than you have

Eh, the OP is still an active member, and the info on attachment would probably be applicable to any year or model.
Hopefully he will respond.
Aj, welcome to the forum!

I did something similar
_950451364994657_4269558506767530109_n_zpsnugxr1hm.jpg

Bringing back a thread from the dead here, but did you guys use 3" piping?

Hi, Excellent job, but how did you stand the pipe to the door frame?
BR
Saludos desde México

I'm actually inerested how its mounted to the pillar as well. Or is it just held in place inside the fender?

I'm interested to do this for a Gen 3, but no pictures survived from photobucket - so typical they get deleted.

Anyone have pics of this.

Also why not go with a two piece and pop it through the hood?
Jeep and Toyo I think have these at the cowl.
A lot less work, the MAF and PCV and temp sensor are right there - big open spot under hood.

I will try to put some more up if I can find them. I can also take some new ones. So far the snorkel has held up really well and I use an ARB snorkel top with it. I went with 2.5" piping and it works just fine. 3" would be better but it's a pain to fit it. Also I made a bracket that comes out of the door frame and attaches to the pipe.

Back