Simple Electrolysis Rust Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Simple Electrolysis Rust Removal

...I was called by a guy the other day who needed to borrow one of my battery chargers for a project he was working on...

..Rust Removal on auto parts..

..There are several ways to remove rust and it all depends on what you are working on..Some items require sanding or media blasting, some require being cut out and patched in while other items require using the original heavy duty "Naval Jelly".

..Today's project was removing rust from nuts, bolts, and other suspension parts...

Note: ..It turns out that all portable chargers are not created equal and in California and Oregon they changed the 12v battery chargers for retail sale a few years back. I don't know why it changed but it only changed in these two states.

The guy had bought several new charges and could not get them to work. After dismantling them he found they were working properly but had circuit boards in them to prevent them to work the way he needed, hence he gave me a call to borrow mine to see if it would work...I brought over my Schumacher SE-1052 50/10/2 Amp Manual Starter/Charger and Success..:biggthump

Disclaimer: Do so at your own risk and be sure to do it outside in open air.

...For those looking to do rust removal on small parts, (I've seen it used for leaf springs too) here is a good basic video of what he had set up..

The secret ingredient (Do Not use Baking Soda)

20150816_112904b.jpg

..The active ingredient is Sodium Carbonate.

20150816_112949b.jpg

His basic set up in use...

20150816_112705b.jpg

It usually takes him 1-2 hours (normal time) but this shot was after about 15 mins. just as an example.

20150816_112729b.jpg

I hope this helps someone out..Have fun..:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saved.

Thanks Tbars

...If you or anyone else decide to build one of these, be sure to post some pics and updates..

There is probably not that many people out there trying to get rust off their parts...:)

No you cant use this on your rockers......

Back