Simple (maybe) PIAA relay question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Simple (maybe) PIAA relay question

I got my 510s installed from a great Ebay deal and they worked the first time I tried them but I realized a bulb blew so I had to wait to get that. Got everything finally installed again today and the switch won't turn the lights on!! It (the switch) turns from green to red, but the lights never come on. I'm wondering if it could be the relay or what.

I tested the plug from the power and switch that goes into the relay and I definitely have GND and Power at that point. But the other end of the relay doesn't read anything when the switch is on or off. I'm guessing that two of the pins going to the lights should read +12 or so when the switch is on while the other two are ground. Someone help!

If someone knows how the relay should read please let me know.

Also, I get a voltage spike on the top pin entering the relay next to the constant power (assuming this is the switch.) Is that how the switch works, just a spike to trip the relay? Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just as a thought, PIAA relays typically have fuses in the relay box, and typically the relay box isn't horribly hard to open up. If you open up the relay bonx check for a blown fuse.

Yeah, but this one isn't a box. It's just a slender black plastic container. I tried to pop it open with no luck, maybe I'll just have to pry harder and see what's inside. The PL5FB relay here is different than the big ones that my 80 pro XTs and 940's have. I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can break the seal.

What kind of fuse do they have?

Okay guys (or just Matt.) I figured out somewhat of the problem. Took the relay apart and the fuse was good. So since I have it right by my battery I tried some straight up power (+12V) to the switch signal and the lights come on!! So I'm guessing something's wrong w/my switch?! Let me know if you have any idea's on what I'm doing wrong. I have the switch's middle wire hooked up to the power for the wiper motors. Is that bad; and I also have my console on the same wire as my piaa's. Is that bad too?

HELP ME!!! Please!

Does the relay click when you hit the switch? I have had a few of those long black relays go bad. PIAA will replace them for free. Or you can just substitute a reg. relay. I would sooner think its the relay since the switch lights red & green.

Okay, the relay clicks SOMETIMES when you hit the switch from green to red. The relay clicks and the lights go on when you are moving from green to red, BUT the light on the switch goes out when the relay clicks on. Also, the lights don't stay on; they go out as soon as I depress the button all the way.

So I'm guessing I need a new switch. Can I use some cheapo from radio shack or should I get another PIAA?

The switch kinda works but doesn't seem to hold the voltage signal it needs to turn the lights on. It only works when I depress the button about halfway.

Now that's one WEIRD switch problem. :confused:

Let me know what to do next; new switch or what?!

Sounds like it has to be a worn switch. You can use about any switch. You can also call PIAA and they will replace the switch.

yup, I'm with Bill, could be a bad switch. I might have a spare around if PIAA wont send you one.

PIAA is really good with honoring thier warranty. Send it to them and they will hook you up. This includes just about anything. I have had my lights replaced twice now no questions asked.

got a new switch coming in the mail! They are good at service, that's for sure. I've been busy though so it took a while to finally get the call placed.

yeah I've never heard a complaint about their service. Very good at honoring their warranties...

Back