• Register Today It's free!

Simple shock question

BusterXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Hello to all. This is my first post and I'm definitely a newbie. I have a '93 Ford XLT that I've had since... well, '93. And I really enjoy working on it.

What a great site! I used the 4X4 shift motor repair page to put in a 39 cent piece of tubing to get it to work again and saved almost $700 (that's what they quoted me to replace it). 5 hrs later, it was working again.

Anyway, I've read about the Bilstein shocks and decide to put a set of 4 on. The question that I have is for the front shocks... do I cut out the existing bushing for the top that's kind of pressed into the frame and use the 2 new bushings the came with the new shock? Or is it better to leave the existing 1 piece bushing (it's in decent shape... just almost 15 years old)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

I can't say for sure since mine is a 98, but I replaced the existing bushing with the new ones that came with my shocks. On mine, the bushings were two pieces; one on top and one on the bottom. They were sandwiched between two large concave washers. Hope this helps.

Welcome from 1 newb to another. I would agree with the rest and go with the new ones, but I suggest you keep as much old bushings as possible in case you need to switch back.

Do you really want to have suspension problem when you need your truck the most??
They give new bushings so why the hell keep the old ons. Cut it and change it thats all.

Back