Simple Suspension Lift question.

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I have a 98 2WD 5.0 Explorer.

Can I use a Ford Ranger 2WD 6" suspension lift for the front?

I just want something big enough to clear 35"s

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you post a link to the lift?

I dont have one specifically. I just wanted to know if a Ranger lift would work - since they are more accessible.

I just want a Suspension lift big enough to clear 35"s, and I want it to perform well too, and I have no clue where to look

thanks

there are a few companies that make >4" lift for 2WD Rangers.
The lift should work, but I believe the Rangers had smaller rotors, therefore you would need caliper mounting brackets, calipers, rotors, etc from a Ranger.

you could use a spindle lift for the front of your truck since it's 2wd. spindles are a 3" lift. then you could get warrior shackles and an add a leaf for the rear. that should get you another 3" in the rear. then you can just put on a 3" body lift and you'll have 6" lift altogether.

if you plan on putting 35's on your truck you should also plan on having to re-gear your rear axle. from what i've been told you'll want atleast 4.56's if not a higher ratio.

you could use a spindle lift for the front of your truck since it's 2wd. spindles are a 3" lift. then you could get warrior shackles and an add a leaf for the rear. that should get you another 3" in the rear. then you can just put on a 3" body lift and you'll have 6" lift altogether.

if you plan on putting 35's on your truck you should also plan on having to re-gear your rear axle. from what i've been told you'll want atleast 4.56's if not a higher ratio.

will a 3" spindle and 3" body in the front clear 35" MTs?

thanks

My priority isn't really to 'lift the truck' so it looks cool.

I want to put my emphasis on Suspension, Quality and Reliability. I want a Performing suspension setup that will be smooth and handle well with quality parts. And the ride height and good looks will be secondary.

Let me know what you guys think

I believe Camburg make quality kits, albeit spendy.

I have a 98 2WD 5.0 Explorer.

Can I use a Ford Ranger 2WD 6" suspension lift for the front?

I just want something big enough to clear 35"s

thanks

what width tire are you looking to run?
width plays a pretty big role into whether or not you will need to trim with a set amount of lift.

a skinnier tire will more easily clear fenders and bumpers than a wider tire.

you'll probably have to trim your fenders to clear 35's. also what type of offroading your going to be doing and how often should help you decide on what lift.

alot of guys do a tt/shackle lift with a BL and put 33's on their truck. both those lifts are cheap and you get about 5" of lift in doing it. plus with 33's you might not need to re-gear and you'll still have alot more ground clearance than you do now.

i've done the tt/shackle lift and depending on how much rust you have under your truck you can have it done in less than 2 hours.

http://www.camburg.com

take a look around. lots of really nice quality suspension for what you want. i used to use these guys when i had my 5.0 ranger prerunner truck.

or you could put a straight axle under the front:D

My priority isn't really to 'lift the truck' so it looks cool.

I want to put my emphasis on Suspension, Quality and Reliability. I want a Performing suspension setup that will be smooth and handle well with quality parts. And the ride height and good looks will be secondary.

Let me know what you guys think

the bolded parts pretty much state no torsion twist.

although, it won't be too easy to get it smooth by any means.

I checked out the camburg site, and it doesnt look like they have a kit for my year explorer?

But I did find this 5.5" for the Ranger. Could I make this work on my truck? Then I could add a 2" body lift to the front and add-a-leaf in the rear. That should clear 35s, no?

http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Camburg_Ranger_2wd_MW

Thanks

http://www.camburg.com

take a look around. lots of really nice quality suspension for what you want. i used to use these guys when i had my 5.0 ranger prerunner truck.

or you could put a straight axle under the front:D

I checked out the camburg site, and it doesnt look like they have a kit for my year explorer?

But I did find this 5.5" for the Ranger. Could I make this work on my truck? Then I could add a 2" body lift to the front and add-a-leaf in the rear. That should clear 35s, no?

http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=Camburg_Ranger_2wd_MW

Thanks

ummm.. that is a Camburg kit :scratch:

it'll be impossible to find a lift kit for a 2nd Gen 2WD Explorer.
well, almost impossible. The front end of a SLA Ranger and SLA Explorer are the same, suspension-wise. The only difference is going to be in the rotor size (as I said earlier).

looking for a 2WD kit that's sold "for" an Explorer?
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/6/6/

Any spindle lift for a Ranger Edge will work. I suggest a lift spindle with a hi angle ball joint upper arm and a 2.5" shock. Thats what i have now and it works awesome for what it is. All total im sure i can get you everything done and installed for less than $1500.

Ya, I know its a Camburg kit. Im just saying, I couldnt find a Camburg Kit specifically for an explorer, but I found the 5.5" kit for the Ranger and wanted to know about it.

Could you elaborate a bit on the rotor issue? I couldn't use my OEM rotors/calipers with this 5.5" Camburg Ranger kit? Are there any other ways to make it work rather than install ranger brakes?

Thanks

ummm.. that is a Camburg kit :scratch:

it'll be impossible to find a lift kit for a 2nd Gen 2WD Explorer.
well, almost impossible. The front end of a SLA Ranger and SLA Explorer are the same, suspension-wise. The only difference is going to be in the rotor size (as I said earlier).

looking for a 2WD kit that's sold "for" an Explorer?
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/6/6/

Any spindle lift for a Ranger Edge will work. I suggest a lift spindle with a hi angle ball joint upper arm and a 2.5" shock. Thats what i have now and it works awesome for what it is. All total im sure i can get you everything done and installed for less than $1500.

How tall of lift will that be? (without body lift)

will it be tall enough for those 35s? hehe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How tall of lift will that be? (without body lift)

will it be tall enough for those 35s? hehe

Really if you are going to be using the truck off road you dont want to go that big with your tires. the spindle snout is a huge weak point on the 2wd explorers. but if you want 35's a spindle lift and fiberglass fenders are the way to go for the front. a spindle lift as about 3.5 inches and you can crank the torsion for another 2.5 and get a total of 6" pretty easily.

Back