Single Biggest Modification I Did

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I see allot of questions about what to do to get the most bang for your buck. As some know, I spent a small fortune on my 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition with a 4.0L SOHC with a 4.10 rear end. The single most impressive thing I did was run a flasher on it. I have used a Jet chip before and while it made a difference, nothing changed my truck like running a program to change the stock computer settings. While this is expensive to say the least, it was the single most impressive performance modification I made. I also changed the stock intake to a Mac and added a Pro-M MASS on it. This is only seat of the pants testing though. I am anxious to see the results from aldive and doug are running with a dyno. My guess would be that the intake change and MASS made only minimal HP change, but made it sound different. So don't be surprised when someone asks, "What is the single thing I can change to improve performance"? and my reply everytime will be, Get a flasher with a couple of good programs and go from there. But now can't help but wonder how much difference the 4.10 gears made on it as compared to the 3.73 gears that most Explorers have? I never knew I had 4.10 till I was told by someone here that is now running my old rear end in his Limited, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bbq,
what were your considerations while deciding on which flasher/program to get? Which one did you decide on?

I'm considering a new prog/chip but really dont know where to begin. I have a MAC intake, flowmaster exhaust, stock MAF.

My suggestion to you right now is go through bamachips. I bought my flasher from Apten when I ran a group buy. Seems like Doug is spending allot of time to program the 4.0L engines. He would be your best bet IMHO.

My considerations were some tough questions on myself. Remember I had already ran the Jet Chip and it was OK, but didn't really cut it for me. So I wanted something easy to install. Also my Explorer was still under warranty and I wanted something undetectable by Ford Techs. The Flasher was perfect. I highly recommend it. While the flasher is very very easy to install, the most important thing to remember is, It's only as good as the programmer who does your programs are. I have not had the priviledge of running a program from Doug yet, but he would be my first choice when the time comes again. Hope that helps... Just my opinion too guys.

Whenever I go to EEC-V I will have to get some sort of flasher. Pretty neat stuff what they can do these days with the computer controls on EFI.

Ron
Am shocked that you are endorsing a site sponsor you have never dealt with.
Than again, IJYHO

spindlecone said:
Ron
Am shocked that you are endorsing a site sponsor you have never dealt with.
Than again, IJYHO
Well, it was just my opinion. And if I was going to have my flasher programmed right now, I would definately have doug do it. He's active here and not hiding. Easy to reach and definately seems like he has all of his oars in the water.... No one else seems to be as active into helping us with programs right now. I liked dealing with Apten, but they are very hard to reach now. I have tried many times, all unsuccessful. Who else is there?

That was the main I went with him on the flasher because of his involvement and willingness to teach and work with folks in the forum. Good guy..Doug is and I am a very satisified flasher owner from him!!!

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Well, it was just my opinion. And if I was going to have my flasher programmed right now, I would definately have doug do it. He's active here and not hiding. Easy to reach and definately seems like he has all of his oars in the water.... No one else seems to be as active into helping us with programs right now. I liked dealing with Apten, but they are very hard to reach now. I have tried many times, all unsuccessful. Who else is there?

Just let me know when I can be of service to you or anyone.

thanks, Doug. :)

BBQ_HotDogs said:

Ron, There are other tuners, site sponsors.I agree with you, Doug is very prolific and helpfull.
Please don't get me wrong, but I am a show me the meat type person.
Show me real world numbers (Dyno numbers).
Numbers that 99.9% of the N/A members on this site can actually use to see what may be possible to actually do.
The search for more H.P. better performance, etc, is very simple, but it cannot be PROVEN, without real data (Dyno Data).
You have many members on this site that state: seat of the pants is all you need, so be it.
I would never mod an engine,after spending a lode of bux, and sit back and say it feels good, without actually finding out Via numbers, what I actually was able to accomplish.
I think any tuner, would agree with the above.

I think the reason he likes me is because I have posted numbers, plenty of them with base performance tunes and dyno tunes. Even Supercharged :). I'm still looking for an OHV to take to the dyno but I will have some results on those soon.....

Not to mention my experience with performance parts and different tuning for more then 10 years with the Ranger's and Explorer's. Ever seen a 4.0 underdrive pulley? I used to own one. :confused:

Thanks, Doug.

Doug904 said:
I think the reason he likes me is because I have posted numbers, plenty of them with base performance tunes and dyno tunes. Even Supercharged :). I'm still looking for an OHV to take to the dyno but I will have some results on those soon.....

Thanks, Doug.

Doug,
What I said above has nothing to do with and kissie huggies.
you have posted numbers for alot of hyped, S.C blown engines, plenty of numbers.
But, lets see some numbers for N/A, bolt on modded engines, Mods that the every day type of guy uses, with your tunes.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe I have ever seen a dyno graph posted by you, other than major modded engines.
Tunes for the average consumer would be great to see.
Tell ya what, you will doing some Dyno work in fremont CA, mid March.
I'm 15 minutes away, I will bring my SCT excalibrator, I will pay you whatever you charge to create a tune, based on my mods, than I will pay the Dyno time, to see the results, PM me if you are up for it, pls understand, am not being pissy, just want to see some real results.

I've posted two dyno graphs for n/a 4.0 SOHC's. One from a guy with an air intake and exhaust and the other with the same mods and I dyno tuned. The Mail order tune was 195rwhp and 218rwtq and the other was 200rwhp and 223rwtq. Now, with that said you have the same mods and a pro-m too, did I hear you have headers as well?

Coy Miller's Mail order tune..

Robert's Dyno Tune 01' SOHC K&N +Gibson Exhaust

I'd be happy to dyno tune your Explorer come March 26th, just show up and if we have some time left over after I get finished tuning the EE guys then we'll do some work with yours.

Who knows maybe you'll be as happy with my tunes after your see the difference on the dyno?? ;)

Thanks, Doug.

Doug904 said:
I've posted two dyno graphs for n/a 4.0 SOHC's. One from a guy with an air intake and exhaust and the other with the same mods and I dyno tuned. The Mail order tune was 195rwhp and 218rwtq and the other was 200rwhp and 223rwtq. Now, with that said you have the same mods and a pro-m too, did I hear you have headers as well?

Coy Miller's Mail order tune..

Robert's Dyno Tune 01' SOHC K&N +Gibson Exhaust

I'd be happy to dyno tune your Explorer come March 26th, just show up and if we have some time left over after I get finished tuning the EE guys then we'll do some work with yours.

Who knows maybe you'll be as happy with my tunes after your see the difference on the dyno?? ;)

Thanks, Doug.
great numbers Doug on all the above, would love to see what you can do with my tune, you have my Ph number from a privious PM, give a call if you have any time left over.

I agree with Bill 100% on the "average" guy upgrades. Most people do not have the money to get headers, Super Chargers, or even upgrade the exhaust. But more than anything I have seen, is that most all have upgraded there intakes. That is why I volunteered my Mac Intake and my Pro-M MASS to aldive for testing. If you take a stock engine, nothing done to it at all, run a dyno, then add those 2 simple things, how much performance increase is there? Then take a computer program and up it from that. That is results... That is what I would say the majority wants, but as usual, my disclaimer and say it is just my opinion.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
That is why I volunteered my Mac Intake and my Pro-M MASS to aldive for testing. If you take a stock engine, nothing done to it at all, run a dyno, then add those 2 simple things, how much performance increase is there? Then take a computer program and up it from that. That is results... That is what I would say the majority wants, but as usual, my disclaimer and say it is just my opinion.

Ronnie, we will be doing that test on my SOHC.

aldive said:
Ronnie, we will be doing that test on my SOHC.
I know. Many of us are waiting on that. That will tell me allot. Cause if the intake and Mass do not add anything and are just a chrome decoration, then that money can be spent somewhere else. A Dyno will walk the talk for us poor people who have no other way of telling except by the seat of our pants, LOL. We anxiously await on those results...

back to the subject at hand.

I 100% will agree with BBQ, dollar for results, a tuner / chip can not be beat.

Bamachip is the best bang for the buck I had done. talk about teaching an old dog new tricks. mine has 33 inch tires and is about 100K miles. drives almost like when i bought it.

I agree with BBQ_HotDogs about BamaChips and Doug. He was very helpful and fast with replies. ( I asked alot of questions .. sorry Doug :confused: )
I also agree with spindlecone about tunes for the average consumer. I should have some dyno charts to post in the next two weeks. I'm having my x dyno'd completely stock on Monday. Then it will be done with air filter and exhaust. Last it will be done with air filter, exhaust and Doug's 87 performance program.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As promised I had my x dyno'd completely stock. It was 153 HP and 183 TQ. This Monday it will be dyno'd with the modified intake and dual exhaust. On Wed it will be checked adding BamaChips (Doug's) 87 Performance program.
I don't know how to post the charts so I will e-mail them to Doug and maybe he will post them here for me.

Back