Single button remote question

kernowman

Reaction score
City, State
Penzance Cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 UK SPEC SOHC - LPG
Hello,

Hopefully a quick question. Can the battery be left out of a single button remote without affecting its use later? The inside of the little switch under the rubber button on my remote seems to have turned to jelly and the remote red light is now permanently on. I can operate the Ex by removing the remote battery and then replacing, but would rather leave the battery out when not using it? Any suggestions? Searched the forum and seems that even if I can possibly get a new remote, programming is a nightmare. Would prefer in the end to do away completely with the remote and the immobilisor if I am going to have problems, but cannot find how to disconnect this and get back to using a good old-fashioned key for opening the doors and starting the Ex.

Hope everybody survived the snow - the Ex really came top of the list down here in the remote parts of Cornwall - we had quite a wallop of snow - incredibly rare for us.

Regards,
Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I'm stating the obvious but have you tried a new battery. In the past on various card I've found that low batteries can do funny thing with the little LED!

To answer your question though there is no problem with leaqving the battery out for any amount of time, it will still operate as normal.

If you ever want to disconnect it altogether then drop me a line or post again here.

Cheers,

SS

Thanks for the info. Put a new battery in the other day before I looked at the switch itself. I am at the moment picking the innards out of the switch with a pair of tweezers and a powerful magnifying glass - what looks to have been a silicone or rubber pad to keep the contacts apart now is just a slimy mess. Going to attempt a repair - never know, might work in the end!!!!

I had that too. My switch had a brown paste all inside it... I thought it was glue as the switch itself had become detached from the soldered circuitboard and maybe a previous owner had glued it back on with something. I took it all to bits, washed each component of the switch with washing-up liquidy water and a cotton bud.

There's a thin plastic sheet that goes between the components that even had to be cleaned and seated back the correct way.

When the switch appeared to "click" satisfyingly I re-soldered the switch back on to the board, which also had to be cleaned of any gunk. My fob now works brilliantly. I hope you manage to get yours sorted too!

We should both have been brain surgeons - right fiddly job. Mine is still on the circuit board, so had to wash it in situe. Reckon the gunk inside must have been there for a reason, but the switch, after cleaning the bits in lighter fuel, now works better than it ever has. I feel dead chuffed.
If anybody has a go, the membrane on the top is very thin and easily damaged, as is the little metal diapragm at the bottom which is shaped to 'click' when pushed in the centre. I would imagine if bent, even slightly, it would not work.

Maplin do replacement switches that solder straight in (£0.69 each)

Back